TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to ask for some of your advice. I'd like to get back into weight lifting or better yet into shape, and I was wanting to know how often you all lifted, how much, and how long.. You know, basic stuff.

Secondly, have your eating habits changed to improve results and exactly what kind of changes were they?

What basic changes could I do? I don't really want to spend more time writing down what I eat and tabbing numbers than actually eat!

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Well, this may or may not help, but this summer generally every day for 8 hours I run a shovel cleaning out holes in the road (yup we make them too ((working for the City))) and then filling them in with asphalt (hot mix for you who know what I'm talking about) then I come home and work on the farm. Throw bales, etc etc. I usually don't eat much in the summer when I am working a lot, I just don't have the appatite for it, and that goes true for when I weight lifted in HS too.

Joe

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Heres my two cents (granted I only weigh 165, but that is up from 160 about two years ago, damn that metabolism ;) but here ya go;
Do you want to bulk up or get toned?
If you want to get toned and drop some lbs, I would say Run Run Run, and then hit the weights. Also stop drinking pop and other junk food. I stopped eating sweets and drinking alcohol about three weeks ago, and my stomach is practically gone.
If you want to get big, do very little cardio and hit those weights. Eat lots of meat and invest in a quality protein shake. Allstarhealth.com has good brands for a lot less then in the store.
The way I work out is to isolate one or two muscle groups per session. IE: chest and bi's, back and tris, legs, shoulders, and then bis and tris again.
also, you can never drink too much water.
The key is consistency. The first couple of months were the hardest for me, until I got into a routine and met some people at the gym. Try to find someone who is experienced at weight lifting, and work out with them. Good form beats the amount of weight you can do anyday. And finally, dont give up!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Here's my story if it helps.

I recently recovered from a sprained ankle at the end of March. During the time I was not working out from about January to June, I gained about 25 pounds or more. Once my ankle healed 2 months ago, I began to play basketball with my friends once a week for two hours, and 2 other times during the week at whatever local park I choose until it gets dark. There's usually people to get a game going, but on the rare occasion there is not, I just run layup and shooting drills until I'm too tired.

Last week for the first time in a while I did a plyometric workout. I was sore in virtually every muscle in my body for the next two days, but I still played hoops Monday. I could hardly get in and out of a couch, much less a bed during that time.

The results? About a month ago I was weighing 242 max. Just today, I reached my lowest weight in a long time at 225. When I was active prior to January of this year, I would hover around 215, going as low as 207 and as high as 220 depending on how I was eating or exercising at the time.

I try to eat healthy like non-fried foods and good grilled chicken salads, baked fish, almonds, fruits whenever I remember, but it's not a strict rule or "diet". I always drink plenty of water, and usually Gaterade during my weekly game. It doesn't take that much discipline to choose those foods over others. When I have a hard workout, I don't hesitate to go afterwards to the local Bill Miller BBQ and get their Rancher Plate (Brisket, sausage, beans, hash browns, cole slaw, and roll with optional sweet iced tea and fudge brownies). On the day I play hoops every week, I'll go to a Subway a few hours beforehand and get a turkey sandwich on wheat with most of the vegetables and no dressing or mayonaise. Sometimes I'll go to a Pizza Hut and get their spaghetti.

So I'm not following some strict diet or counting calories or carbs, and I still lost 17 pounds in less than two months since my ankle healed. In fact, it is less than one month because I weighed in at 242 at the doctor's earlier this month! It's the basketball that gets me fit.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
well i got my wisdom teeth out a couple weeks ago, couldnt eat solid foods for a while, so i dropped weight. i liked being able to wear pants/belts that i hadnt worn in a long time, so im just trying to keep eating lighter.

and i weightlift monday, wednesday, and friday, 3sets of 8 of just about everything upper body, leg extensions, and calf raises. then i do 200 crunches and run a mile.

tuesday and thursday i run a mile, 200 crunches, and 25 pushups (hey, i just started and im using some special pushup bar..lots harder :) )

so far ive lost about 10lbs, but i've noticed my arms and chest have gotten bigger.

dont know if that helps u or not......oh well ;)

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I just started working out again after a bad knee problem, my doc says it will never get better until my hamstring muscle gets much bigger. I have not done a bit of exercise in 1.5 years, and I have also put on about 85-100 lbs, during that time.

My Scenerio:

Start off every day with 10 minute fast walk = .70 miles

Legs Day:

3 Sets of Leg Press = 12 reps (270lbs), 10 reps (360lbs) 8 reps (450 lbs) 1 rep max out (650lbs)

3 sets of legs extensions = 12 reps (20lbs), (30lbs), (40lbs), (70lbs max out)

I dont know what it's called but works ya *** basically to shrink thighs. (2 machines)One ya put ya legs wide out and move thenm in and the other vise versa.

50 reps @ 60lbs, [email protected] 70lbs, 30 [email protected] 80lbs, [email protected] 90lbs

Both Machines.

Arms Day:

Bench Press same 12, 10, 8, maxout. 60, 70, 80, 135

Curl using same 12,10,8,max. 30, 40, 50, 70

Military Press 12, 10, 8, max. 60, 70, 80, 110

SWITCH ARMS, TO LEGS EVERY OTHER DAY, 4 days a week.

Hope this helps.

I have been doing this for two weeks and have gone from 295lbs, to 278 lbs.

Dave

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i lifted wieghts everyday from the time i was a junior in high school until about a year and a half ago. ever since i stopped i've put on about 50-60 lbs. i'm actually getting ready to go back to the gym and start eating right again i just keep putting it off cuz i've gotten lazy. I want to get back down to about 230-235 lbs. right now i wiehg about 280 lbs. anyway right when i stopped going to the gym the routine i did included everything. i went 5 days a week for about 2-3 hours.

1 hour cardio (bike/treadmill/stairmaster etc,) at a steady pace, not slow but not fast. after that on to abs and obliques and lower back. i did this stuff everyday.

tuesday and thursday would be my easy days, i would do legs. i always took it easy on legs cuz i have a bad left knee (torn acl and mcl) and a bad right ankle (compound fracture) from football. so i avoided squats even though its probably the best leg exercise as it incorporates just about every leg muscle. i did quads, hamstrings calfs, and leg press, and dead lifts.

monday, wednesday and friday would be all upperbody. i did everything you can think of but i wasnt bad cuz i split it up like turdferguson said. one day would be biceps/triceps/neck. next day would be chest/back/traps etc. i found my best results doing three different exercises for each muscle group.

the best thing to do to change your eating habits is to avoid fast food and restaraunts. eat only 3 times a day (unless you are trying to gain mass) and dont eat junk food. dont drink soda. also avoid nutrition supliments (creatine/protein etc. unless you are trying to add mass) only thing i ever took was glutamine cuz it promote muscle healing. also, drink lots of water.

thats about all i can think off right now. this kinda motivates me to get off my lazy *** and hit the gym.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Metalbassist03 said:
I I was wanting to know how often you all lifted, how much, and how long.. You know, basic stuff.

I lift just about every night, 12 oz curls, usually untill I pass out from "exhaustion". I recommend a nice dark beer for the flavor, but not too "heavy", something like Amber Bock.

LOL

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the idea of going and doing separate things on different days, problem though: I am going to college and my time at the gym will be shortened a lot. Would I see some good results if I just went for one hour and did some core exercises such as (Arms) bench press, curls, and pull ups, and (Legs), squats, leg press, leg extensions.

I love beef jerky to death, so protein should be easy to obtain... :D And I already don't drink soda, just immense amounts of kool aid / juice.

Thanks guys for your advice, I'll probably start up when I'm at college since the schedule will be routine.

John

622 Posts
I dont know what it's called but works ya *** basically to shrink thighs. (2 machines)One ya put ya legs wide out and move thenm in and the other vise versa.

50 reps @ 60lbs, [email protected] 70lbs, 30 [email protected] 80lbs, [email protected] 90lbs

Both Machines.

if i'm not mistaked this is the ab/adductor machine. at least that is all that i know it by.

seth

p.s. just make sure you are doing the exercises with proper form. otherwise you will not work the muscles you are intending to and you could hurt yourself. it is better to do a smaller amount correctly than a large amount incorrectly.

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
I'm in pretty decent shape overall, I notice that any good, continuous physical routine, like jogging, or a job that keeps you goin, is Great, but my thing has always been abs, I love the way a nice stomach works, and for that, sex has no competition, it's amazing, one good session, and I'm ripped.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You have to do different things on different days.
If you do the same thing every day than you arent giving your muscles enough time to build up after you break them down and you wont see improvements in stregnth or size.
The important part is the build up.

Start with light weight, you dont have to kill yourself right away.

Monday-Chest, back
Tuesday-cardio
Wednesday-Arms(biceps, triceps, forearms)
Thursday-Cardio
Friday-Shoulders

This is my routine.
Take some protein after you work out.
I have gained like 40 pounds of muscle in the last couple years with this routine.

And work your lower body in there too, on the cardio days.

-Jason

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Scott Suzanne said:
I lift just about every night, 12 oz curls, usually untill I pass out from "exhaustion". I recommend a nice dark beer for the flavor, but not too "heavy", something like Amber Bock.LOL
:uppoint:
I have a similar regiment.
Monthly; lift two, glass 12 packs from store refrigeration unit, est. 18 lbs. each.
Lift & carry to check-out. Lift & carry to car. Lift & carry into house. Lift & carry into home refrigerator.
Leisurely comsume 12 ounces at a time.
92CougLS said:
... it's amazing, one good session, and I'm ripped.
I'll second that!:zbeer:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I work in my yard. Only about 1 acre, but we have about 40 trees on or around the edge of our property, and and a large pond. Last wekk I cut down 3 trees about 60 feet tall each, with an ax.

I should probably run more, but I'll probably end up getting a bike....I used to bike upwards of 20 miles a day everyday when i was 14-16....then I got a car!

·
Registered
153 Posts
hey man, dont ever drink coke or soda or whatever you call that sugary drinkman, eat cereal in the mourning, have a day in between work outs to let your body recover, switch between lots of weight low reps and lots of reps low weight through out the week, to lose weight running or basketball works very well, as well as doing work outs with your legs such as leg press, if you ever drink with your buds or frat brothers or whatever you should ask them to wrestle, cause that is the best, wrestling wasted, you'll wake up feeling like a million bucks

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
ya sorry to bring up the old thread but you ppl are like average ppl, know nothing about weight lifting! so i had to say something

And as the last guy said, dont drink soda but eat cereal :rolleyes:
cereal is the worst thing you can eat in the morning, have a nice hearty meal in the morning, you need to feed the brain.

Dont know if you need anymore help but go to gym.com and ask there what you need.

and i didnt realize how outta shape the guys from tccoa where :eek:

·
Registered
623 Posts
day 1: legs
day2: back and bi's
day3: chest, shoulders, and tri's
repeat
take 7th day off

i usually life about 1hr and a half to 2 hours at a time
drink lots of fluids
protein supplements help too, for me i can feel a difference