TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
unbolt it from the housing and use a a cue tip to clean it. be very very careful with it though, very gentile. you can use brake clean carb clean or i beleieve they even have a solvent for MAF i just use dry cue tips.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Any good Electronic component cleaner would be fine.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Spend the extra $2 for the can of MAF cleaner, and be safe. $7 for a can is a lot better than the cost of a replacement MAF because the Brake cleaner stripped the protective coating off of it

·
Registered
641 Posts
DO NOT use brake cleaner or carb cleaner for the MAF sensor. They are too harsh for the sensitive electronics. Use only electronics or MAF cleaner.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/intake/mafclean.html
+1!!! Do NOT attempt to use any harsh abrasives on the MAF. It is VERY sensitive and requires the proper aerosol cleaner. It's definitely worth the extra money. I'd send you the rest of my can but I know that wouldn't fly...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Any auto parts stores have it. It's in a grey can and it specifically says MAF cleaner on it. It's not that expensive, and it doesn't take much. It's not like you pay 10 bucks for it (I think it's 7 bucks and change) and if used properly, you shouldn't have to use it again unless there is a problem with the MAF and at which point, I'd suggest just replacing it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
yeah now i read this after i pulled it off after purchase and cleaned it and the throttle body with carb cleaner .... i did use q tips though ............... good thing they're eventually gonna be replaced ...............:rolleyes:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GREAT!!!!. thanks for the info on where to buy the stuff...

My second question was, how do you know if it dirty and needs cleaning?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Whether if it's dirty or not just go ahead and give it a few shots!!! If it's dirty you will notice a difference visually and if it's clean it won't hurt. Unless someone cleaned it right before you bought I would be willing to bet $100 that it is dirty. It also gets dirty over time no matter what filter you use so it'll be good to always have a can handy. You can also use the cleaner on any electrical connector to clean them so spray the connectors of the MAF while you're at it.

·
Registered
933 Posts
You'll need torx bits to unscrew the little screws unless you wear down the little dots.
You'll need a torx SECURITY bit. They are not just torx bolts, normal torx don't have the raise dots in the middle. I think it's a T-20 security bit, but I'm not positive, I just bought a little thing that is about the size of a large pocket knife and has like 10 of them on it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whether if it's dirty or not just go ahead and give it a few shots!!! If it's dirty you will notice a difference visually and if it's clean it won't hurt. Unless someone cleaned it right before you bought I would be willing to bet $100 that it is dirty. It also gets dirty over time no matter what filter you use so it'll be good to always have a can handy. You can also use the cleaner on any electrical connector to clean them so spray the connectors of the MAF while you're at it.
hey V8, do you know if the there is any engine drive or idle difference with it being dirty?

·
Registered
641 Posts
hey V8, do you know if the there is any engine drive or idle difference with it being dirty?
It 'lopes' but not up. It idled really rough and would almost die on me. Almost.. And then if you gave it gas, it would hesitate a LOT, then it would go and the RPMs would drop while cruising.

·
Super Moderator
9,255 Posts
As far as using tamper proof torx bits... I just grabbed my regular torx bit set, stuck the T-20 in there and beat the little post in the middle down with a hammer enough so I could get unscrew them. :D

I used Windex and a cue-tip to clean mine (before I upgraded). The only real way to tell if it is dirty is to get in real close and look at it or grab a digital camera with a good macro mode and take a shot or two.

Here are pics...

Here's a shot of the front of it before I cleaned it:

And here's a shot of it after I cleaned it. The rear element was equally as nasty as the front.

·
Registered
194 Posts
mine was really nasty too when I bought it, it was before I got on here and learned about maf cleaner, I used a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. The car ran really rough beforehand, and wouldn't take full throttle, it would just bog. It runs really well now :]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts