TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.08 Trac-Lock disc brake rear from a '92 Sport that I will eventually be selling when I part out the car, and I would like to know how a trac-lock works so I can accurately describe it's condition. When I have one tire in the grass and the other on pavement it will only spin the one that's in the grass, but it looks like there is some force on the tire on the pavement. If I put one tire in the grass and one on the rocks it will spin both for a couple seconds and then only spin the one in the grass. It will spin both on the pavement like crazy. Does it sound like it's operating correctly?

Here is a picture of the "test road", they start a little over 150 feet from where the pic was taken and come toward the camera. It's a private road and nobody was around for miles. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/mudmonkey/7-17-05013.jpg

·
Registered
280 Posts
Seems right, I dont know alot about this stuff, but I think it TRIES to get traction to both wheels, but if one is spinning ALOT easier all the power will go there. Its a less agressive approach to a rear end than a true locker like on off road vehicles. Its better than an open differential but still driveable on the street.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Change your rear axle oil. It helps, always has with my 95. I like to change at ~25k intervals.

·
Banned
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I am used to my detroit in my 4x4 and just wanted to be sure this trac-lock is operating properly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
In most cases, the trac loc will spin both tires no matter what. But in some cases, like when one tire is on ice and the other on dry pavement, the tire with less traction will spin. This only happens when the difference between the two surfaces are VERY different, like ice and dry pavement. There is a way to test to see if your trac loc, or limited slip differential (LSD), is working properly. Put one wheel up in the air with the other on the ground and the tranny in park. Put one of those old flex bar torque wrenches on on of the lugs and try to turn the wheel with it. It should hold still till a certain torque is reached. I don't know for sure what it is on a t-bird diff, but on the RX-7's diff that I own with LSD its about 100 ft/lbs that it breaks free. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
414 Posts
icantdrive55 said:
My tracloc always spins both no matter what.
That's incorrect. Tracloc is only a set of small clutches that put friction between the 2 axles. When they are turning the same speed as driving straight. No friction.
When one wheel slips there will be friction and the opposite axle will recieve some torque via clutch friction.
If the load is too great, it will slip and most do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts