TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i'm saving up for that year/engine tranny config. i used to drive manual but for daily comute it has to be an A4.

anyone have experience with that year and auto chevy's..? i know the lt1 is a torque monster and torque starts at like 2500 to 6000 rpms and 270ish hp is pretty good.

mainly i'd like to know how the auto in that car acts..? what wil the top speed be..?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Well, I can say that the '97 Z/28 30th anniversary car my parents have runs high 13s, and yeah, those things 'll shift so hard, it'll about smap your neck. And they drift pretty easy too...even if you're not trying to

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i would do the basics. i would do the following and that's it.

gears, probably 4.10 or 4.11 i believe chevy is etc. (it heard 1st gear is a bit long, gears makes for a better jump if you don't lose traction).

full cold air intake etc along with probably cut outs to get sound on demand if i wanted.

good tires, upgraded brakes and sway bars.

maybe a chip or whatever etc....

not much else, i think it would go pretty good after those small mods.

ps, an auto lt1 camaro is more in my price range, i see them for like 4-7K$$$.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
my buddy has a 94 camro lt1 with a 6 speed. gotta say i love that car except for the opti. sometimes it runs funky. his best time was a 14.1 bone stock. speedo goes to 150 and we burry it quite often. im thinkin of getting an lt1 for the old caprice in fact. anyway we have a chilton manual on it so we might be able to help with some questions that you might have.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Best friend has one. A 95 Firebird w/ the LT1 in it. It does have good torque, and yes, it can drift on you if you're pushing too hard. His has the "performance shift" button on the center console, which makes it shift harder.

The only issues that I've delt w/ on that car is the Opti-Spark (which is expensive), and changing the dang plugs and wires. Now I see why the dealer booked it at 6 hours the time he had them do it. I've done it and its a royal PITA!

The other issue that seems to hit is head gaskets. I've seen other similar motors w/ this issue, but it could just be an abuse thing... He blew the drivers side gasket between the back 2 cylinders and it has been sitting w/ the top end and 3/4 of the surrounding engine compartment disassembled for about 2 years now :rolleyes: Glad I bought a house w/ a lot of garage space, lol...

The only other thing I can think of is to try and check the maint records on it. Make sure the oil has been changed on a regular schedule and that the motor hasn't been beat on. His motor developed a lifter tick after a while, and he was not easy on this car at times. Upon removal of the valve covers to get the head off, there was so much sludge in the motor that I could not tell what was a rocker and what was a valve spring. He killed that motor by not changing the oil and driving it like it was stolen. I'd say 80% of the oil passages were blocked up w/ junk.

I have personally seen 120 in that car, but it seemed like it wanted to float a bit. No vibes at that speed though. I've always considered the LT and LS series motors to be more bang for your buck, and I would love to have an SS Camaro some day w/ the LS1 in it.

Oh, and check to be sure the T-Tops don't leak!!

Just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Jay

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not as fast as a 99+ LS1 :D

BTW, I am flying out to Chicago to pick mine up today.
The LS1 came out in 1997 in Corvettes, and came out in 1998 in the f-bodies. ;)

snow, make a visit at CamaroZ28.com. The 1995-1997 cars have the vented opti-spark, while the 1993s and 1994s don't.

FordMan77, spark plugs are easy when you have long-tubes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts