TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love muscle cars of the 60's and early 70's and while i admit they were quick and had great power, i need someone to tell me how quick they were.
i know that some cars that my dad and grandpa swear were very quick but only turned high 14's.
can somebody name some quarter mile times and the names of the cars.
did i hear correctly that one of the very limited production cudas went mid-10's?

·
Registered
686 Posts
The 63 tbirds had a smoking 11 second 0 - 60 lol...not a muscle car really, but its the only one i know the speed of hehe.

Greg

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well, of course the Cobra was in the 11's. I saw on SpikeTV today that the big block Vette made 450HP. 0-140mph in 17 seconds! Don't know what that translated to in more common measurements though. There's a few others I've heard of that are fast like the '70's Plymouth 'Cuda, Duster, AMC AMX's had decent quickness, probably in the 13's. I knew someone with one of those a few years back that was doing 12.50's on the motor.

·
Registered
686 Posts
4point6r0x0rz said:
Well, of course the Cobra was in the 11's. I saw on SpikeTV today that the big block Vette made 450HP. 0-140mph in 17 seconds! Don't know what that translated to in more common measurements though. There's a few others I've heard of that are fast like the '70's Plymouth 'Cuda, Dodge Duster, AMC AMX's had decent quickness, probably in the 13's. I knew someone with one of those a few years back that was doing 12.50's on the motor.
Ok i was bored, according to my calculations (lol...im a geek)...that vette ran the 1/4 in 14.74s @ 122.08mph. there is a cool use for this stuff they make me learn :D

Greg

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I believe that the ET is just a bit off. At 122 mph then he would be in the low to mid-11's.

Russell

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yea i checked the calculations and it actually came out with a slightly slower speed and slightly higher time 14.78 @ 121.75. So either the car show was wrong or that vette had really week acceleration at certain points. *shrugs*

Greg

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
most of the big block fords were very fast , even faster with more tweaking. the thunderbolt was a low 11 , high ten second car right off the showroom floor. the lghtweight galaxies were also that quick. and al the other big engined cars were about 14 -15 depending on configuration, i had a sheet somewhere about it, ill have to see. but yes most factory muscle cars were at least 14 seconds or faster , i know for a fact the stangs were in their many varations.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4point6r0x0rz said:
I saw on SpikeTV today that the big block Vette made 450HP. 0-140mph in 17 seconds! Don't know what that translated to in more common measurements though.
i saw on c/d today that the 67 L88 was rated at 430hp at the crank, but actually made 560 at the wheels.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The typical "muscle car" of the 60's and 70's is actually slower than todays "Muscle" cars. (The Mustang Cobra, the Corvette, and the soon to be released GTO) There were of course exceptions like the Cobra and the 427 Corvette. However I don't think that even they were as fast as todays Viper, Z06 Corvette, or the Ford GT.

In fact I just read a Motor Trend test of the new GTOand it is faster than even "The Judge"!

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
well,

since i was born after the gas crunch and the only conversations i had with my dad about old hotrods were years ago..i think that fact that the old muscle cars weigh in somewhere between an Excursion and a Bradley CFV:D affects thier 1/4 mile times, but i could be wrong, it has happened before.

joseph

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Dangit! My step dad's farm land landlord kept a few cars in our tractor shed for about 20 years before he passed away. One was an early 70's Duster with a v8 (unsure of displacement), a late 60's Galaxy 500 with v8 (also unsure of displacement), and a 67 Chrysler 300 with a 440ci. When he died all but the 300 were willed out to other people. But man I love that 300. I bet it runs mid 14's with good tires.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Greg K,

You can't use a linear equation to find out the quarter mile time for the vette. You have to consider the fact that the acceleration is not going to be the same during the entire run. This would not be an easy problem to work. The mph for the run doesn't match up with the ET. You would have to know what the acceleration curve looked like for the car to be able to tell about its quarter mile performance. It's hard to work a problem where you have varying acceleration, aerodynamic drag, weight, gearing, horsepower, etc. There are just a lot of unknown variables. I'm not saying that its not possible to get a close guess, but I don't think that I want to bother with it.

Russell

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yea i figured that was part of the reason i was off. I dont know calculus physics yet, i just used the kinematics to figure it out. So no that ive sufficiently made myself look dumb hehehehe

Greg

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
thats untrue about the weight, my galaxie only has 500 lbs on my kitty!

·
Registered
121 Posts
If you pour enough money into these cars of course you can get 10s or 11s.
I am assuming the original question applies to stock only?

If that is the case Traveler is right....old muscle cars are not nearly as fast as today's muscle cars. If you look at old road tests they are actually quite slow compared to today's counterparts (Mustang, Firebird, Vette, etc).

The Thunderbolt wasn't really a production car (they made about 100 for drag racing) and did the 1/4 mile in the upper 11s, not upper 10s.

·
Registered
247 Posts
So called muscle cars only ran in the 13s and 14s off the showroom floor. You have to remember that they were using skinny bias ply tires and really lousy exhaust systems.

Any post pointing to faster cars is referring to prepped cars. Fully prepped cars, as in balanced and blueprinted with headers and slicks being obvious and it wasn't unheard of for some magazines to slap in a cam too. Todays cars are significantly faster and more comfortable while being cleaner burning and using a whole lot less fuel.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
There's a nice '71 Nova I would sell my Cougar for. It's $3000, and has a fairly nice interior and exterior. Not much work to do on it, if I did get it.

I do have a file of a Buick Grand National that's twin turboed. 1076 hp. VERY nice clip.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts