TCCoA Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I guess I qualify as a well fed driver.....

Jeez,......I guess if I want to lower my et then I had better lay off the rocky road ice cream. Well if that is not some motivation to lose some @$$ then nothing is.

·
Smoothmeister K
887 Posts
My friend towed my Tbird with an '86 Plymouth Lancer (2.2L four banger auto) when I couldn't start my car up awhile back. Going up a slight incline, my friend was going 25mph while almost red-lining at 5 grand. He barely got up about a 25% incline, and almost went through a stop sign intersection because of my bird.
She's heavy all right. I'm always careful when I'm changing the oil in her by making sure the jack stands will hold up.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Not just heavy...built solid. when my 89 was side-swiped, in was just cosmetic damage. the civic wasn't so lucky. he needed a new front clip. My 91 took a 3 foot drop @ 30mph well...scratched bumper and loosened ball joints.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Amp said:
My friend towed my Tbird with an '86 Plymouth Lancer (2.2L four banger auto) when I couldn't start my car up awhile back. Going up a slight incline, my friend was going 25mph while almost red-lining at 5 grand. He barely got up about a 25% incline, and almost went through a stop sign intersection because of my bird.
She's heavy all right. I'm always careful when I'm changing the oil in her by making sure the jack stands will hold up.
Towing a vehicle almost twice it's weight he is lucky he didn't blow the engine or melt his brake rotors!

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
When I weighed my old 95 Cougar with low gas, spare and jack in the car, without me in it it weighed 3695 pounds. So 4K is a close number for all MN12s...really hard to get a more accurate number other than going to a truck weighstation and getting it weighed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4000 lb. estimate was good enough for.

what i needed to know. I was using the horsepower calculator on super six motors.com showing the weight and time you want to run in the quarter. then it will tells you what horsepower you need to reach your goal. for example for a 4000 lb. t-bird to do a 14 seconds in the quartermile needs about 288 hp at the rear wheels. This is their numbers not mine so don't beat me up about it.

·
Mushroom Stamp Layer
844 Posts
Those calculators are crap. Peak HP is worthless. Johnny Langton is knocking on 13's with 199 HP at the wheels.

240RWHP has put a few people in the 13s. It all depends on the rest of the powerband. The numbers I'm giving you are for 4.6L Thunderbirds....a 3.8 might be different...a 5.0 might be different also...different powerbands.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
are you talking deep 14s or just touching 14s?

288 rwhp is almost laughable to just touch 14s and still deep 14s and youd have to be doing something wrong going down the track to still be that slow. like C said, its all about the curve. these cars usually do pretty well for their horsepower because the torque is there down low. a 2 ton car with only 190 rwhp wouldnt normally be able to do anything respectable, but with the grunt down low to get it off the line its enough to get alot of these cars to the mid 14's.

hopefully ill be able to touch 14s next week. god im slow. wheres my demo AED kit already? :cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It also depends on the weight of the car, the suspension setup, gear ratios, the tires used, the weather conditions and whether or not the guy got a good launch and about a thousand other factors. I know that those calculators are not an accurate, that was not my point of starting this post. I just wanted to know the weight of our cars in a stock configuration as a round figure. You know instead of slamming a post, and showing your superior automotive knowledge just read what the person is asking.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
in all fairness, i dont think anyone was slamming you. this isnt the SAT's, its a discussion board. you were talking about weight and quarter mile time, we discussed it a little bit. youre going to get more than just an answer to your question when you ask it on any forum. if all you wanted was a 4 character answer with the weight and maybe a unit at the end, you should have used google.

dis-cus-sion

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I understand that this is a discussion board, even though i ask only a simple question...car weight which J-rob answered excellently. it was that simple.
by the way J-rob it looks like you only need about 12 more hp to get your car into the low 14's. That's pretty cool

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No J-Rob, that was called sarcasm.....

I was referring to seabass's reference to some guy knocking on 13's with 199 rwhp. Am I saying it can't be true,....NO. what I am saying was sarcastically that you needed only 12 more hp because your post says you have 187 hp and are doing 15.01 in the quarter. Once again for whoever is joining us late,...I was being sarcastic.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think this would be a good to to close this thread.....

for safety sake.....Like they say it is all fun and games until someone loses an eye

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
its not like i was going to actually slap you. i guess its an old IRC thing in me, oh well. i concur though, questioned answered, discussion had.

now everyones homework is to go and pick a fight with someone and loose. first rule of fight club is do not talk about fight club.

ok, i need a nap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.