TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
One And Only!
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got this of some other forum so here it goes...

3 guys get a motel room.. They all share the same room. The cost of the room is $30 that = how much each? $10.The manager comes in and says to the lady at the front desk that you over charged the guys by $5. The front desk lady sends the bell boy to give the guys there $5 back. He is thinking how am I going to do this, I have to split $5 three ways. He said I will make it easy and pocket 2 of the 5 dollars.

Now the guys are paying $9 each for the room That = $27 now Then the bellboy has the $2.Where did that dollar go? :eek:

·
One And Only!
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
smarta$$ lol where man i didn't see it :(

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
They aren't paying $9 for the room each. If the total bill for the room was 25 bucks, the equal share of that is 8.33 each (with one guy getting screwed paying 8.34 :rolleyes: ). Add that extra dollar to each person's share and you are at 9.33 each. Multiply by 3, add the 2 bucks that the bellboy stole and you have 30 bucks.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
There is no missing dollar. It's phrased wrong.

Amount Initially Paid: $30

Amount After $1x3 Refund: $27

Amount Tipped to Bellboy: $2

Amount of Room: $25

Now that should be enough for you to figure out the solution. :D

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
If people are still arguing it when I get back on later, I'll explain a bit further.

·
Registered
975 Posts
That was disappointing. I've heard that question too many times. Here's a better one.

Imagine a 55 gallon barrel filled with water. Would it drain faster with a 6-inch hole or two 3-inch holes in the bottom of the barrel? Assume the rest of the barrel is enclosed.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
kenshi said:
That was disappointing. I've heard that question too many times. Here's a better one.

Imagine a 55 gallon barrel filled with water. Would it drain faster with a 6-inch hole or two 3-inch holes in the bottom of the barrel? Assume the rest of the barrel is enclosed.
hmmm.... im leaning towards a 6'' hole... theoriticaly I imagine it should be the same... but im leaning towards the gravity of the water pushing harder on one single bigger hole.... hang on im gonna go poke some holes in my water jugs :tongue:

·
Registered
975 Posts
awdRocks said:
hmmm.... im leaning towards a 6'' hole... theoriticaly I imagine it should be the same... but im leaning towards the gravity of the water pushing harder on one single bigger hole.... hang on im gonna go poke some holes in my water jugs :tongue:
I won't say whether you're right or not about it being a 6" hole since that would kind of give it away, but your reasoning is incorrect.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
The two three inch holes because they are in the bottom of the barrel and can hence drain it completely, the 6 inch hole could be anywhere since it wasn't specified in the word problem and might not be able to get all the water out.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Here's one to get you thinking a little. Take 4 steel balls of exactly 1" in diameter. Place three of them on a flat table top, touching each other so they form a triangle. Now place the fourth on top of them, nesting it in the center. Can everyone see this? What is the distance to the center of the ball on top from the table surface?

Mike

·
Registered
890 Posts
kenshi said:

FIrst you didn't say whether they are square holes or round holes, but it doesn't really matter.

If they are round holes, the area of 2 - 3" holes is about 14 square inches, while the area of 1 - 6" hole is about 28". If they are square holes, the area of the 3" holes is 18 square inches, while the 6" hole is 36 square inches.

In either case, the one 6" hole will drain faster, due to its larger opening.

I just noticed the part about the 'rest of the barrel is enclosed'. Now I don't know, but if both 3" holes are in the bottom, I don't think it changes much. If one of the 3" holes were in the top and one in the bottom, then that would definitely be the faster answer.

·
Registered
875 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
1/2" after the three on the bottom roll out and it falls.
Alright, smarta$$!! :D I intentionally left that part out, just because I wanted to see who the first person to say that was. You win! That was actually what I said too, right before I calculated it. Ok, so now assume the balls won't roll apart...they're captured, retained, glued, whatever. Carry-on.

Mike

·
Registered
195 Posts
As far as the barrel goes, I'm gonna figure 2- 3" holes. One draining and one replenishing air into the drum.

The balls.....I couldn't tell you exactly. I would have to figure somewhere around 1.25" to center???

Just guessing like everyone else.

Skip

1 - 20 of 34 Posts