TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been saving up so I could fix my bird. I haven't drove it in two months but when I did the PS pump was whining very bad. We thought it was the rack & pinion but it's the pump and the fact that its pushing sludge through it probably didn't help it. I've been starting it up and put a little gas in it and the pump doesn't even whine anymore...Maybe because it's sat without being turned?

Anways I always get off the point lol...how hard is it to remove and replace? I just wanna get a cheap one so I can drive it to work soon, and cardone has a lifetime warranty from AA for like $70 bucks. Anything I need to know before I go buy one? I know cardone is crap but I really have no choice as I need my car soon and I don't get a check for a while.

Also, two of my front ball joints are shot. (apparently) I can't tell but my mechanic step-dad said they are. I know those are cheaper than the PS pump but which is more important? Because I might have to drive on one of these things bad...i dont want to do it to my bird but I'm in a tough situation right now.

Thanks for the help guys...i dunno what i would do without you! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It depends on how bad your ball-joints are - if a ball-joint is worn badly enough, it can break leading to the wheel/tire practically seperating from the car. It's possible to get in a serious accident with the car if this happens while driving and you lose control of it! At the very least, the car will be undriveable until you get it repaired. If your upper ball-joints are bad, get the entire upper control arm (more cost effective that way; I paid about $70 each for Moog UCA's) and replace it yourself - I just did mine last weekend and it was EASY!

If your power steering fails, the worst that will happen is it will be very hard to steer the car, but it should still be driveable!

Hope this helps you!

Dennis

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ditto on what dmw said. I replaced mine with ones I got from Advance Auto for around $55-60 each. Now I know a lot of guys wouldn't think of it but I would consider using a good set from the yard if my funds were tight. I have often found these parts in good condition.
As far as the PS pump goes, you can rent a puller from Autozone to remove the pulley. The rest is fairly easy.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
ps pump is easy you just need a small 10mm for the ps bolt that is close to the ps line to the pump and I think 18mm open
wrench for the lines . Ratchet the three bolts from the top and do the last one with the small
10mm wrench .it must be small or you will be hating every turn . I may have forgotten something but you get the idea .

Edit , never mind you drive a 5.0 lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
hey, my grand marquis's steering was whining horribley, and i was sure the pump was on the way out. i took it to a decent shop to get it checked out, and all they did was flush out the old crap fluid and put in some good synthetic stuff. it took a few days of driving, but it steers and sounds like new... only cost like 40 bucks. might be worth a shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts