TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how hard is it to put them on? How long did it take you? thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Red96Bird said:
a lift, airtools, wall mounted spring compressor, 2-3 hours then the drive to have it aligned
that is about right

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
ZackG said:
yeah just about
i got away w/o a lift, only a jack, a jackstand or 2, a regular hand held spring compressor and just some impact sockets w/ a breaker bar

Same here but i went the safe route take it to a shop and have them use a wall mounted compressor, much safer :) if those compressors were to break or let loose its gonna be bad. Just my opinion

·
Registered
824 Posts
Took me about 3 days, doing it completly myself, using a hand held spring compressor, impact/air wrench, and various sockets, jack, and stands. (I'm probably forgetting something)

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
My fronts took 3 people with air tools - including an impact gun and an air chisel, both set to 120psi and working at the same time. The backs really werent too bad to do.

·
Registered
275 Posts
springs

drop your lower ball joint and it makes it real easy to do with out useing spring tools , I did it and the whole spring and strut fell out . Its easy . DW

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Ballman said:
drop your lower ball joint and it makes it real easy to do with out useing spring tools , I did it and the whole spring and strut fell out . Its easy . DW
Are you refering to the fronts? I don't think it's possible to do the fronts without a spring compressor. You have to compress the spring to get it on the shock. At least I know I did. There's no way I could've gotten the spring on the shock without a compressor.

·
Registered
275 Posts
springs

yes , I have done it to 3 of my SC Birds . alot faster , if you were close , I could show ya how its done . Just have to be safe , once the lower are is dropped and the end links are off also the arm will almost drop to the ground, straight down , have to push it over alittle with a pry bar , but then the whole spring and strut will come out as one unit . DW

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I'm sorry. I'm just having a hard time picturing in my head what you're saying. Are you talking about removing the whole thing as one unit? If so, I didn't have an issue with that. I just unbolted the spindle from the upper control arm and the sway bar, and it dropped enough for it to come out. I'm saying when you put the spring on the shock itself. You have to compress it, then bolt the "cap" on to hold the spring onto the shock. Is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
275 Posts
yes

Yes , its another thing putting it back togeather , have to put it all togeather as 1 unit , then back on the bird , thats the best way to do it . Hope that helps with the job, both on and off the car . Just be safe and take your time , best to do the strut rod bushing at that time to , and the end links . Its only money . Thanks Jeff . DW

·
Johnny Bling Bling
3,811 Posts
didn't take me long, but i am spoiled. i had a tech here at work install them.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Does anyone have pics of this process? I just have one of those minds that works better with pictures.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
aaron k and I put my konis on with my eibachs with hand tools and autozone springs compressors...took our time, srcewed around with drilling the old shocks, and ate our wendys and did it all in just a few hours. I bet if we actually worked, we would have done it faster.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
aaron k and I put my konis on with my eibachs with hand tools and autozone springs compressors...took our time, srcewed around with drilling the old shocks, and ate our wendys and did it all in just a few hours. I bet if we actually worked, we would have done it faster.
Yup, almost all FL wrenchin' sessions involve fude...usually Wendy's too :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts