TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just how hard is it to pull the motor in these cars? Is it possible to pull the motor and transmission as one?

I ask this* because I am preparing to swap the 3.8 out of my 89 for a 95 4.6 (already have donor car).

I have virtually everything (tool wise) needed for an engine swap. My main concern at the moment is the transmission. I hate pulling transmissions by themselves, seeing as how I dont have a transmission jack. =[

*now - Because I was too lazy/unmotivated to call a tow truck and get the donor car home. Until now. An hour long walk from home in a cold headwind will change your perspective quite a bit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey dude,
Yeah man you can pull it with the engine and tranny still connected. Just be carefull of wiring you only have to miss one wire. I found the easiest way was to remove the hood. Start sliding forward, when the tail of the tranny s getting close the front should just be about touch put some down force on her and lift away. Down force on the rear I mean. I have pulled both a a 4.6l and a 3.8l. Any questions feel free to ask. Just be careful take your time, and call in some favours from buddies just incase.
Peace

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I aint tacklin this alone... Im random, not crazy. =]

Thanks for letting me know about all that. =]

·
Registered
107 Posts
oh yeah and the best method I have found for the 4.6l removal or install is to use to lengths of chain. Loop it in the bolts hole for the alternator. The othe piece gets attached to the tranny bellhousing. woorks well. No problems yet.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GreenBird said:
jacking up the rear end will help too.
Higher than the front or level with it? I can see how it would help, but would jacking it up higher than the front help that much more?

I know these sound like stupid questions... Ive done engine swaps before... but my Tbird is my baby. I dont wanna screw her up. =]

Oh yeah... has anyone else swapped a 4.6 into an 89? If not, can I call FIRSTIES?!?!

·
Registered
107 Posts
It does make it a bit easier because it changes the angle a bit. That keeps you from putting the engine on wierd angle when you are pulling it. 6 - 8 inches makes a difference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts