TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How in the F*%k do you remove rearend cover?

I am trying to change the rear end grease on my 97 4.6. I have loosened all 10 bolts & the huge support that is connected to the cover is in the way. I do not know if I have to actually remove the support from the framing or if I can just pry enough space so that the fluid will run out. Surley somone has changed their rearend grease, how!?!

Cup

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to fuss, be please someone help me! My car is on jack stands & all the cover bolts are loosened. I may just have to put everything back together & forget it. BTW, my car has 74k miles, how often does rearend grease need changed?

Thanks all, W.Cup

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i wasnt in there to change the grease, i was in there to change the gears, but its still applicable. the stock gasket crap is going to be pretty hard, either use a crowbar or a screw driver and pry it open.

put some muscle into it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Unbolt the 2 bolts in the rear support that go up thru the frame.
Remove all diff. cover bolts.
Pry off the cover, let fluid drain.

You're gonna have to take the cover completely off to reseal it with silicone. Just prying the cover and carrier apart and then bolting them back together is asking for a leak.

Mike J

PS. It's fun to swear at parts that don't do what you want them to do in the driveway....but by the time you get to the comp to post, you should be calm enough not to swear on here. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, but it's so damn hot here I am going to just put it all back together & worry about it in the fall. At least I know what to do now!

W.Cup

·
Registered
70 Posts
i just bought the grease sucker from autozone and stuck the tube into the fill hole and it sucked all the old out...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sux! After all the work I did, I could have got that! Wonder if the metal fragments come out. I'll have to try it out.

W.Cup

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
W.Cup said:
That sux! After all the work I did, I could have got that! Wonder if the metal fragments come out. I'll have to try it out.

W.Cup
Unless I'm mistaken, aren't metal fragments a bad thing? I one saw a 200 Trans Am that blew itself up by using a 200hp shot of nitrous on a stock car. I'm not sure how he managed it, but the ring gear came out in like 2-3 pieces. And you don't even want to hear what happened to the rest of the car...

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have changed rear end grease on a variety of cars that I have owned. All had some small metal fragments, more like metal dust. This usually settles to the bottom & once the cover is removed, so does the "metal dust".

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
I think Cup is right.. with any Metal on Metal application... even with the BEST lubrication, theres still gonna be some wear.. may be a very little bit, may be alot..

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
True that, but when he said metal fragments, I thought metal fragments. Not dust or whatnot. :) I associated the word fragments with the concept of chunks. Chunks are bad. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts