TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you using the NPI gaskets and not getting air leaks when switching to a PI intake and NPI heads?

I lined things up and looked at it and there has to be air leaks using those gaskets. I have done searches on here and seen a couple that say you need to use RTV, but not seeing how exactly that's going to help?!?!?!

Even had a my old Ford mechanic buddy looking at this and he agrees the PI gaskets will seal better. Please let me know the details ASAP so I can have this back together by this Saturday for the tuning going on.

Visual learner, so DETAILED pics would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
i dont have any pics but i'll try to explain for you. you cant use the pi gaskets because the coolant passages ont he gaskets are smaller than the coolant passages on the non pi heads, therefore coolant will leak. this is why people use the non pi gaskets because air is easier to seal than coolant. the rtv seals it up fine. i've done two pi intake swaps and used the non pi gaskets and rtv and neither car had any air leaks. i did mine 3 months ago and my friends about 1 1/2 months ago and both are still perfect. Trust me, the non pi gaskets and rtv works.

Frank

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, but I have no doubt it works just cant see where to put the RTV exactly. To hell with my perfection on the first try attitude that I have. LOL

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts

this is Chrisnack's old PI intake.. and that is where he put the RTV sealant.. hope this helps

JD

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, that's what I needed. Helps it make sense to all 2 of my brain cells now. Hate it when one goes that way and the other takes off in the opposite direction.

You all are the reason I keep coming back here. To provide enterainment for you all. LOL

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
One word: Epoxy. You port match the new intake.

Go over to modulardepot and find the npi vs pi thread, kdanner put pics in there.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
One word: Epoxy. You port match the new intake.

Go over to modulardepot and find the npi vs pi thread, kdanner put pics in there.
why do all that work, when RTV works just fine?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
If you want to do work there was also a guy on MD that welded the corner of the coolant passage so the PI gaskets would work and he doesn't have to worry about epoxy getting sucked in his chambers

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
timb said:
If you want to do work there was also a guy on MD that welded the corner of the coolant passage so the PI gaskets would work and he doesn't have to worry about epoxy getting sucked in his chambers
thats what i ph33red, I just did the RTV method... That method seems like the best solution tho, aint nothing happening to that weld...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
When we did frank's, we put RTV on the entire half circle that is on the valley side of the ports.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
GreenBird said:
When we did frank's, we put RTV on the entire half circle that is on the valley side of the ports.

yea, we probably put more than was needed but its better to be safe than sorry. you wouldnt want to have to do it over. also if any rtv comes off and makes it way into one of the chambers it will burn right up unlike epoxy.

Frank

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
jordansypek said:

why do all that work, when RTV works just fine?
I like the idea of having the intake actually match the heads I'm bolting it to. The air hitting the edge of the heads has to cause a lot of turbulence, and it's so close to the combustion chamber that it's certainly going to affect it. That and the epoxy'd ports create a much more positive seal with the gasket, which I trust more. I used RTV in addition to that, but honestly I dont think I needed it.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
epoxy would be perfect, if there was no chance a chunk could break off and get into the cylinders, im not sure witch one id do the rtv of the epoxy

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And here I was thinking I was going to be the first to make my own intake gaskets. Dang. Han, where did you find the paper? Having a hell of a time getting it from the parts store up here. Think might have to go to a craft store.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Should be able to get it at Checker or Red Rooster. I had a roll I just dumped off on a buddy the other day...:eek:

I'll be giving you a call tomorrow afternoon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts