TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 95 Cougar, how does the emblem behind the side window attach (the emblem with the cougar head in the circle)? Does it have a couple of tabs and nuts on the inside, or is it glued on? :2huh:

I want to pull them off in preparation for a paint job. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! They are discontinued so I was just wanting to cover all the bases. The Cougar is probably going to get a **cough** "Maaco" **cough** paint job so I figured that if I didn't want it painted, I had better remove it. :beek:

Now all I have to worry about is breaking the tabs.. :beek:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Maaco are a bunch of a-holes. I went there last week to ask for an paint estimate of few parts and the guy was giving me attitude by rudely saying "What!?" every 2 seconds. I think I'd rather go to a Ford dealership and pay $50 bucks extra for the customer service if anything.

·
Super Moderator
7,515 Posts
they are held on by 3 nuts on the back. To get them off, you have to remove the interior quarter panel and get a socket on an extension into the 3 holes and remove the nuts, and try not to drop any of the nuts cause if you do, you definitely won't get them back. And if you are getting a maaco job, then yes, you must remove them yourself. If not, one of 2 things is going to happen. 1) they will try to pry them off and end up breaking at least one, but probably both of them
2) they will leave them there and tape them up, and it will look horrible when they are finished because they will not have painted anything within that outer circle of the emblem.

My advice to you if you are getting a maaco paint job would be to remove as much stuff as you can since they won't do it. Here is a list of what I would remove before taking the car over there.
-side mirrors
-all emblems
-all lights
-side mouldings
-window trim (all windows)
-weatherstripping
-rear quarter windows
-door handles, locks, and trunk lock cylinder
-front and rear bumper covers
-if your car has a spoiler, pull it off
-if you have pinstriping, remove it yourself. Don't let them do it.
-trim that goes along the roof on both sides

That should be it. If you do that, then your car will look drastically better when it is done, and you won't have to worry about the paint peeling from their tape lines. You might not even be able to tell that it's a maaco job!

Mike

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually it's not actually "Maaco", but rather a local shop here called "Peaches". But they are on the same scale as Maaco. I have to do something to fix this roof. They would rather paint the whole car than just paint the roof and trunk. :bawling:

And yeah, if it's bolted on, its not going to be on the car when I take it to them. If it's not there, they can't paint it. :D

I’m still looking for someone locally that will just spray it after I sand and prep it but everyone wants at least $1500 just to spray it. :redmad:

But the base has a paint booth… so maybe I’ll see if there is someone that uses it a lot for some extra cash. :D

Or I may just get a darned spray can and do it myself. That would look better than the rusted, paint peeling, faded roof that I have now… :leftright :rofl:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Let me know if you find a good place that will just do the actual painting in our area. I used MAACO in Florida on my 81 Bird. If you prep it yourself, remove lights and trim and get upgraded paint it can actually look good. Probably depends on the individual shop.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm leaning toward "Peaches" on Washington street. They painted my truck a few years ago and IT SUCKED!!! But I told them about it about a month ago when I was having them look at the roof and they fessed up to doing horrible work!!!! Their words, not mine!!! :beek: :beek:

So we'll see. :D

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Or I may just get a darned spray can and do it myself. That would look better than the rusted, paint peeling, faded roof that I have now… :leftright :rofl:
I'm in the same boat :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts