TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 110, 000 on the bird and am thinking I am going to have to start replacing all this crap.

any ideas on how long the stuff last and how to check if it s worn out?

car is going on jacks tommorrow to look for signs of trouble. I have a clunking sound somewhere in the rear end.

Mike

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
most likely suspension. I have NEVER heard of a CV joint going in our cars.

is it speed dependent? more noticeable turing turns?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clunking

noise is not speed dependent. just happens when I hit bumps and round bumpy turns but not always. But It's loud enough to feel it in my seat when driving. feels like a loose shock absorber, but that's not it.

car is going on jacks tommorow for a look over. going to check all bolts and stufff.

any ideas on what goes out on these things? I have never owned a car with CV joints or IRS suspension.

thanks for any help!

Mike

·
Registered
510 Posts
The joints usually last as long as the rubber boots last. They are all that protects the joints. My guess is that with proper silicone lube to the CV joints, they should last 15yrs or 300k miles

Winston Cup

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Here's what I would check. Check all of the bushings in the rear suspension, this sounds like they could be pretty worn. Especially if the car has 110,000 miles on it. If they look worn out to you, www.mn12performance.com makes a good set of replacement bushings. Much better than the stock rubber ones.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I had a similar clunk sound in my car for a while and the first thing I checked was the shocks (with the wheels free-hanging on a lift) and they looked ok as far as condition and mounting but the culprit turned out to be the passenger side rear shock. Try pushing down on each corner of the rear of the car fairly hard while someone else squats by the wheel listening for the sound.

I had the shop in front of my work replace them while I was at work today with Monroe Reflex shocks. The total with parts and installation was $125.00 and change. Now the sound is gone and the car is nice and tight. For the record, the car has just shy of 45k miles on it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to update this. anyway, I replaced the shocks and later found out the clunk was from the sway bar end links bushings. they were gone and it was metal against metal. fixed it, noise gone now.

thanks,
mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've got 195K and mine just started to click when pulling into D or R. I think they'll last another 50K if I don't get tired of the clink. Aint bad considering I have two speeds, accelerate and decelerate (take off spinning and slide home as Dad used to say).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts