• 3 Years

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How long have you had a SCT chip, or Inject tech tuning in your car?

just curious to know how long you guys have had SCT chips in your car, post any issues u have with it. My dad seems to think that it "Beats the motor up" i think its total BS, but is that true? Does it wear the motor more?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been using the tuning of jw since the Inject Tech days.

If you have more power under your foot, would you use it more? I'd say the users are to blame for wear most of all. The SCT programming is of the very best available.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I just flashed my car with SCT today! However, my car had a chip from JW for over 2 years and no problems or issues. Didn't see an improvement in gas mileage but the performance gains were there!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
SCT has only been around less than a year. You should reword your poll. His tuning though has been around for quite a few years.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i cant edit the poll, its locked for moderators only, u can add the over 3 years option.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, guys my dad sorta gave in, but hes really mad, hes like i hope the motor burns up, crap, and he is like "Your gonna burn the motor up by doing this..." I think hes totally full of ****, considering i drive with a pretty light foot. Im thinkin of this kinda tune, 1st would be for 87 Peformance, 2nd would be 91 Peformance with stock plugs, and stock Tstat. 3rd would be for 91 Peformance with 22C plugs, and 180 Thermostat. How does this sound?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
wilson502 said:
Ok, guys my dad sorta gave in, but hes really mad, hes like i hope the motor burns up, crap, and he is like "Your gonna burn the motor up by doing this..."
If the motor goes than you can put in a 5.4L with a vortec.:D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont have that kind of money. How do those tuning options sound for a stock car? BTW im lookin at the SCT 9100 Flasher from MD.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
dude...

just do it with the cooler plugs and t-stat... it will allow your fan to kick on sooner, allow for less detonation (detonation kills the engine ), and because of ^^^^ the car will run cooler...

file 1 87 -- performance shifting, fan on sooner
file 2 91 octane -- same as 87 but more timing etc to accomodate higher octane...

3rd file will probably cost extra... maybe have file 3 the same as 2 but w/ 02 gt maf transfer function for a future mod, and then all you have to do is flash it in, and you will have plenty of time to send it out for "reprogram" or buy the cable setup and do it at home..

just make sure you tell the tuner to go "easy" on the tunes.. you want them crisp and quick.. if it is hard enough to jerk the car, the whole car jerks, you lose performance.. i used to have that happen on my 1-2.. tranny guy made it so hard that when i hit 2nd gear, the RPMs dropped below powerband.. with my new SCT Tune, it shifts at an awesome point, and actually feels like the guy jumps forward into 2nd and picks right back up where it left off w/o skipping a beat...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ive heard that, most power is made at 210 degrees coolant temperature...., thats why ford puts 192 degree Tstats on cars, and 180 for S/C applications, also, u can adjust in the flasher how hard the car shifts, im not getting a chip, im gettin the SCT flasher.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
wilson502 said:
ive heard that, most power is made at 210 degrees coolant temperature....
Not to be blunt, but are you high?!?! :beek:

Whoever you've heard from that a motor makes the most power at 210 deg.... run away, far away, fast. :D

The cooler the engine (and thus the air charge), the more power it will make. Period. That is just plain physics. It all has to do with the density of the air. More dense air, more power.

The problem is that from an emissions standpoint, it is easier to meet the emission regulations with a hotter engine, and thus the 210 deg thermostat. But it’s a double-edged sword. With the hotter engine, you have to pull out timing to make it able to run on 87 octane in all situations (120 outside temp, up hill, low rpm, etc…. ) and you lose a lot of potential power.

By running the cooler thermostat you can put the timing back in (which is where a lot of power is) and still not detonate (which is very bad).

All the tuning is doing is making the engine more closely suit the performance requirements of the driver. The OEM “tune” is designed to “please” 100,000 different people in 1,000,000 different situations. It is very broad and designed to be very easy on the engine no matter what type of gas is used.

You also might want to tell you dad that the “tune” is based on a tune from a Ford employee who helped design the transmission and it has probably 10 years of proven performance with no detriments.

Just my .02 and GET IT, you won’t be sorry!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:

Not to be blunt, but are you high?!?! :beek:

up:

Haha, BLUNT!!!

HIGH!!! Get it?!?! BLUNT...

OK, ok... I thought it was funny... :rolleyes:

Ok, yes.... Ahem!

As you were saying?!

MG

(I Believe thats called a "PUN")

·
Registered
632 Posts
I dont get this thread, you want to put in a tune, want to make sure its safe and doesnt harm the car, but you refuse to put in $10 worth of extra parts to prevent the car from pinging - and pinging can damage your motor? :confused:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
um,

the flasher does NOT allow you to change shfit patterns, if that was the case, i'd change the sh*t all the time

all it does is give you the power to select 1 of 3 tunes,a return to stock, or check for DTCs

the extreme flasher is different, and i think may give you power to change timing..

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
whats the average price of a SCT tune

1 - 20 of 65 Posts