TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy new lowering springs and shocks .. When I bought the bird she was already sitting low but the previous owner went the cheap easy way and he cut off part of stock height springs.

I love the height of the ride and I'm wondering he any of you knows about how much he cut off so that I buy the correct springs.

Wheels are 17"
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,579 Posts
Why not count the coils on the springs, front and rear?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not count the coils on the springs, front and rear?
She's stored in the garage about 70KMS from my house for the winter. I was wondering if maybe someone knew if it looked like about one inch 1.5 or 1.6 I believe those our are choices for lowering springs.

How many coils are they're supposed to be on a stock sping? I'm guessing each coil is about an inch or so?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
^ looks about a 2 inch drop to me also. Good looking car! Now i know what chrome 03/4 cobra wheels look like on my car, thx lol

·
Registered
483 Posts
My guess is 1.5" looks very similar to my ride height. I see you are in Canada, I have a brand new set of 1.5" lowering springs for a 96 v8 I bought them from a place out in Burnaby BC, I'm almost positive they will fit your car. I'll give you a good price if you want. PM if your interested. I'm in Calgary....

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
Get the 1.9" Vogtlands for that look.

·
Resident drifter
649 Posts
Get the 1.9" Vogtlands for that look.
You will need at least that much drop to achieve the look you have. I have cut eibachs on my car because with just the 1.5" drop the car still looks like a monster truck. The cut springs will not adversely affect the car. As long as the springs were cut with a cutoff wheel and not a torch, they will be fine. They will just be softer than aftermarket because they are the crappy stock rate to begin with. Cutting them only slightly increases the spring rate by removing active coils. If you aren't racing the car, changing the springs isn't going to gain you anything. Hope this helps. Your car looks nice!

-steve

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Nice car but awful small picture to do what you ask.

Do your LX springs bottom out much?
If not, why are you removing them? Have you looked at the springs to see what if there are any tags with letters on them still?

I cut Sport Springs 1.000 coil in front & 0.625 coil on rear from this Purple '92 Sport and it's about 1-1/2-2" lower than stock .... and I like it .... like a lot. I also put new Tokico Blue HD shocks on it then. I offer it for you to compare wheel centers to body. 1-1/2 or 2 inches is planty to kill that gap above the tires. Go much lower and you run out of suspension travel and ground clearance on parking lot entry and things like that real fast.

And here below isthe stock height'92 Sport and my '95 LX V-8 car on same size wheels & 225/60-16 tires.

I have another set of Sport springs ready for the '95, just haven't done them yet.

:)

·
Registered
850 Posts
Vogtland makes a 1.9" drop springs for tbirds?
I thought they only had 3/4" and 1.6" lowering springs...

Can someone provide a link to the 1.9" drop Vigtland springs?

I plan to lower my 97 sport about 2" and keep the OEM sport wheels with OEM size (225/60/16) tires for now...that SHOULD provide a decent but not too crazy drop to close the 'gap' a bit, eh?

·
Super Moderator
12,687 Posts
Vogtland makes a 1.9" drop springs for tbirds?
I thought they only had 3/4" and 1.6" lowering springs...

Can someone provide a link to the 1.9" drop Vigtland springs?

I plan to lower my 97 sport about 2" and keep the OEM sport wheels with OEM size (225/60/16) tires for now...that SHOULD provide a decent but not too crazy drop to close the 'gap' a bit, eh?
http://www.vogtland-na.com/

Type your car info in and that'll get you the page.

953058 is the 1.6 part number. I may have been mistaken they're 1.6 not 1.9"

But their 1.6 drop is close to 2" in all actuality.

Any Vogtland dealer can get them for you. Shop around. I got mine from SCP.

Spinningwheels-sc also carries them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts