TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how many has everyone's 4.6 lasted them before you had to do major engine work such as an short or long block, rebuilding the heads ect.?

·
Registered
933 Posts
well, it depends what day it was assembled
but how it's treated can be a big factor
but Johnny Langton has over 200k on what I think is original un-rebuilt block and heads (someone correct me on that) and he's running 13's
so it seems they can go forever with proper treatment

·
Registered
22 Posts
well 5 weeks after i got mine and about 94xxx miles into the engine the freeze plugs decided to rust up and pop out draining all the antifreeze into the oil. not a good thing had to get a remanufactured engine so its not an exact science on when these engines are gonna go out

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
214,000+ and still running well, just by staying on top of the routine maintenance. Sure, some will argue that EGR channel cleaning or an IAC replacement may not be routine, but it certainly isn't major.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have a friend who is a mechanic for Ford and has seen a couple of 4.6 liters with 450,000 miles with nothing but routine maintenance. I've seen a couple of crown vics with 250k on them all original.

I have 103k and only burn a quart of oil in 2500 miles, just getting broke in!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm sitting at 137k, still able to run 16.2's bone-stock (maybe a tad better now that I'm fiddling with it), no smoking, and barely a trace of oil-burning! In the words of Jim Florentine's "Special Ed": Yayyyy, yayyyy, dat's gwayt! :gapteeth:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I'm at 240K and still running strong. I burn/leak about 1 quart of oil every 2500 miles and get 25+ mpg. (Can't wait to hit 1/4 million miles!!!)

I did some research on the 4.6L before I bought this T'Bird (with 146K) and everyone I talked to said the engines are rock solid and will give MANY miles if maintained.

Now intake manifolds and transmissions are another item completely! :D

These engines run very clean and don't seem to have a lot of cylinder wear like the 5.0's sometimes have.

So what I've been doing is just buying the parts for a rebuild/upgrade over time so when this engine does eventually I'll be ready! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Got 151k and runs great. Engine is rock solid, although the engine gremlins do steal a quart of oil every 2500 miles.....

Just got a Dennis chip in and I'm gettin 27 mpg highway. These engines do hold up well if you take reasonable care of them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
145,000 No major engine problems knock on wood yet. Just pulled the intake, valve covers, cleaned the egr B/S in the throttle body/lines, by the way that has a defect that once you get a few miles on your motor it plugs up. Also water pump, power steering pump, changed the leaky oil filter housing gasket.

By the way did i mention that there is no room to work on a 4.6 V8 if u have to do some wrenching.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Blackbird94 said:
By the way did i mention that there is no room to work on a 4.6 V8 if u have to do some wrenching.
Ever try to work on something like a taurus? Let me tell you the Bird's engine bay is freakin cavernous compared to the Taurus.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Can't wait to hit 1/4 million miles!!!
I'm with ya, mon...though I won't see it until late this year, most likely!

Yup...hats off to our "200,000 Mile Club" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
i hit 110000 miles and then developed a knock from a main being washed out, and then i threw a rod through the cylinder wall.im not sure how the antifreeze got there but it sure did do some good damage, I am now putting another motor in my car so wish me luck:)

Brett

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Jimbo said:
well, it depends what day it was assembled
but how it's treated can be a big factor
but Johnny Langton has over 200k on what I think is original un-rebuilt block and heads (someone correct me on that) and he's running 13's
so it seems they can go forever with proper treatment
And I beat this 4.6L relentlessley every day.
JL

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
180,000 miles and still going, with nothing other than routine oil/filter changes.

That includes the tranny, too

1 - 20 of 24 Posts