TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 bird with 4.6L that has 108,000 miles now. How long do the factory intakes last before they crack? Is there anything I can do to prolong the failure?
What is the cheapest price to buy a replacement? I can do the swap labor... I'm just trying to prepare for the inevitable.

Danford1

·
Registered
456 Posts
My old 96 grand Marquis lost its intake at 145k. I fired the car up, let it run for about 1 minute, then drove it like I stole it. That evening, it let go 1 block from home.

Our Towncars at work used to go at least 150k before any sign of trouble.

but, knowing you are driving around with a part that can and will eventually leave you stranded on the side of the road, and potentially damage other components(over heating), why wait?

The best thing you can do is, change your coolant frequently/annually, and let the car warm up everytime you drive it. The other thing you can do is cross your fingers.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mine went 71k before it let go. The crack was along the front bottom edge of the crossover. At first, I didn't think it was broken. But alas...

At least I made it home. :uppoint:

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I would remove the alternator bracket and see how long it goes without cracking. I'm still running the Explorer plastic crossover intake with no alt bracket and dont have any problems. I blew one up before on a '96 grand marquis, all I did was get a little heavy on the throttle on a test drive once, came back and there was antifreeze everywhere. Any flex in the alternator under engine load is being held by that plastic crossover...that just isnt right. Best thing to do is go aluminum and probably use the bracket, but screw that. I'm experimenting :cool:
-Rob

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
haha u made it about 20 miles past when mine cracked, the first day i drove it it broke on mine, i picked it up from the dealer and the milage was 108,000

ask miller1995 he takes them from cars in junk yards and sells them on ebay, he could probably cut you a good deal and shipping wouldnt be bad because he lives in flint or if you wanted to meet up with him sometime you could.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Don't have any left, sorry. Have to wait till I go back home to Chicago and good weather for the good deals.:(

-Miller

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
my intake cracked at 35k. it was 3 days after i picked the car up from the dealer, i was pissed and ready to bring it back cuz i thought i got screwed. then i found out it happens to everyone.

Frank

·
Registered
635 Posts
i got 128,000 on my 97 and it hasnt cracked yet.

·
Raoul Duke
1,747 Posts
Wow, I learned something new.
So it cracks due to engine load (read: heavy foot) rather than expansion & contraction?
I guess that's just another reason to stay off the go-pedal.
Mine has 51k miles on the factory manifold... still not cracked! :D

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
When Steve was buying my car (about a year before I bought it), he was on the test drive when it cracked! :eek: The dealer was sitting in the passenger seat and nearly soiled himself. (Thank heaven he didn't, I don't like having to buy a seat!) Thanks to the TCCOA, Steve knew what it was and had the dealer take it to Ford and get it fixed. The dealer couldn't believe he bought the car after that. That was with about 90k on the odometer.

·
Tinfoil hat wearer
558 Posts
I'm not so sure the heavy foot has alot to do with it. Towing I seen them crack in birds cougars crownvics, and town cars. For the most part at least around here the only people you see driving those cars is people 50+ on the birds and cougars and 60+ on vics and towncars. For the most part niether of those age groups are known for a heavy right foot. I think they just blow when they feel like it lol.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Well... I can't say. but it's my 21st and I'm slightly intoxicated, so I appolgoized for any crap I may post polease allmgihty admins have mercy on my acount and don't ban me. I would say, screw the ol fashiun npi intake, if you need a new one, go to dan newmna for a bran spankin new pi intake! I hae one in the mail can't wait to try and put it on the 164K mile bottom end with a pair of PI heads and cams! TALK ABOUT BLOWBY!
soryr bout the disturbance, I will go pass out now. GOOD NIGHT!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK,
Now I heard all the predictions. How much does a new one cost?
Where is the CHEAPEST place to get one?
Danford1

·
Registered
46 Posts
It will crack as soon as you get on it hard, in the middle of nowhere and spray coolant all over ever thing, killing the alternater. I blow my intake at 30k so the dealer ship replaced it for free.

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
danford1 said:
OK,
Now I heard all the predictions. How much does a new one cost?
Where is the CHEAPEST place to get one?
Danford1
if your doing the labor yourself, which is pretty easy, i'd go for the pi intake swap. it can be done for under $200. i actually got a good deal on a pi intake and my intake swap cost me about $160. you can find pi intakes on modular depot and corral for dirt cheap. if you want a new one dan newman sells them for around $185 last time i checked.

Frank

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Is the PI intake only for more power?
I have a stock engine. My priority is mileage. At $2 a gallon for 87 octane and not having alot of money, I'm concerned with mileage more so than power.

Danford1

1 - 20 of 30 Posts