TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do our 3.8's have only one o2 sensor on the right catalytic converter?????

Marvin M.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Marvin M. said:
do our 3.8's have only one o2 sensor on the right catalytic converter?????
Marvin M.
Mine has one before and after the converter, the converter behind the exhaust manifolds. So if my math is correct I have 4 (four) sensors! :gapteeth:

Joe

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4 sensors ????

where are the other 3??? i know theirs one on the right converter but where are the others located if you can help me out with this.

thanks
Marvin M.

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
Marvin,

Just like I posted above, one before and one after. Look at the manifold and follow the pipe. You'll have to probably get under the car to see the sensors behind the converter, mine are near the tranny pan area. :leftright

Joe

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
ONLY the 96-97's have 4 O2 sensors, its a requirement of OBDII so the ECC can "watch" the effecentcy of the converters (BIG BROTHER type of thing)

·
Administrator
8,248 Posts
So he should have 2 then correct, one for each bank?

Joe

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive only seen one by the converter.

there might be another one but i dont know where i have a 95 3.8. I want to clean them, and thats why im asking.

thanks
Marvin M.

·
Registered
266 Posts
well when i looked under my car the first time at school i was amazed to find out that i have two cats instead of one plus i've been told by some teacher's (who mostly know about ford ) that there's an oxygen sensor in front of a "cat" (or was it behind well i'll check the next time i look under the hood.:cool:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Marvin

I believe (or so I was told there are 2 o2 sensors......Call a Ford dealer and find out....They will know by just looking it up on their computer

BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kewl do you guys know if........

a lean running o2sensor can make a difference with the reading of the temp gauge???????? Also if the o2sensor is running lean will a throw a code???? or will my check engine light come on???????

Marvin M.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
That's a lot of question marks...

Well, let's define some thing really quick, first. A sensor won't "run" lean, it will indicate a rich or lean situation... it senses oxygen. So a lot of oxygen in the exhaust stream indicates lean, very little oxygen indicates a rich situation.

An excessive lean situation will cause the car to run warmer, but the car should compensate for that by making the mixture richer until the O2 sensor gives it an appropriate value.

If an O2 sensor gets too rich or too lean a reading and the computer can't compensate, it will throw a code, and as far as I know, your check engine light will come on. Doesn't mean your O2 sensors are sending back the correct data though...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good luck on trying to get the one out on the passenger's side. Ford conveniently locates it 2" from the firewall. It took me an hour plus a lot of heating with a torch to get it free, as it was seized in place on the manifold. The driver's side isn't too bad, at least there's a little more room to work with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts