• 5.5 quarts

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For our 4.6 L, I put in 5 quarts of oil...I have also heard 5.5 quarts...Which one is it ...does it matter??

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Mine always takes 5 qts to fill it. maybe another half qt between changesso that'd make 5.5

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Mine always seems to take 5.5 quarts....

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
5 qts.
Unless you add the Mark 8 oil pan,then it's 6.
JL

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Okay, from now on I will just use 5. I looked at my last quart of oil from the last time I changed it and it's not even half used. More like 1/4 used. So last time was 5.25 quarts....

·
Registered
200 Posts
I use 5 qts for an oil and filter change. Then at about the 2000 mile point it'll be a little low on the stick and I add a qt. BTW I use only Castrol Syntec Blend, 5w30 in the winter, 10w30 in the summer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
oil and filter change on stock 4.6 engine takes 5 qt.s , if it were mine, i would NOT overfill it.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You guys are being way too particular... go by the dipstick. don't overfill or let it get below "qt low" and you'll just fine. :rolleyes:

P.S. Owners manual says 5.3 :zwall:

·
3,232 Posts
GreenBird said:
You guys are being way too particular... go by the dipstick. don't overfill or let it get below "qt low" and you'll just fine. :rolleyes:

P.S. Owners manual says 5.3 :zwall:
5 qts...

I guess you have no idea what happnes to the dipstick length if the tube gets bent any more on one car than another,eh?
JL

·
3,232 Posts
Stephen Heinze said:
Dear JL,
what is the part number on the Mark 8 oil pan???
1-800-266-6049
Ask Dan-he'll know.
JL

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i put 5qrts when i change my oil, then add .5 like 1/2 thru the oil life. thats just me...i guess it eats it up a little...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Johnny Langton said:

5 qts...
I guess you have no idea what happnes to the dipstick length if the tube gets bent any more on one car than another,eh?
JL
Not flamin, just posting an observation...

According to the service manual....if you follow the (b) you read:

"(b) - Dipstick is used to determine the exact fill requirements."

Then again that's also said about the tranny dipstick. And we all know how innacurate those are......

I just go w/ ~5.3. If you're not sure i'd put in 5 and drive it a while and add more if needed....

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
FWIW, these two pages are from my 1994 Owner's Manual, and both pages list 5.0 quarts as the refill capacity. Note the footnote stating that the oil dipstick should be used to determine the exact refill requirements. IMO, that indicates it could vary slightly.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts