TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Got my 1992 3.8L bird A.C. recharge to do. The system was disconnected ( read completely empty ) when I got it. I put everything back together and have started to recharge it.

SO FAR I have two of the Giant A.C. refrigerant cans in there, and the gauge that comes with the refrigerant is showing 25-27 psi on the low side with the compressor on after two of the cans have been installed. Pressure isn't running away that I can see, but I was thinking that this may be a little bit excessive....

Does anyone have any ideas? I threw $100 at it so far, still not into the charged / good mark.

Adam

·
Super Moderator
5,130 Posts
Look at the label in the car. Mine says "40oz of R12" (not exactly, but you get the idea.) Doing the 80% rule, that's 32oz of R134a.

Turns out I chickened out with 24oz in my car ... compressor was running full, air was cold, and it had about 45PSI on the low side in 100F weather (that's not surprising), 325psi high side (note: Harbor Freight gauges, I make no claim for accuracy :diablo: )

Two 18oz cans complete would be just about right.

But let's cover a few more things. You spend $100 on it? Even on the 3.8, that's not much on the flush / accumulator / orifice tube / PAG oil, since those 18oz cans are about $40 each around here.

You DID replace the accumulator and orifice tube, and flush the system, and use the PAG oil in it, after replacing the O-rings and lubing them with the PAG 46 oil or with Nylog Blue, right?

And then pulled a full vacuum on it, right?

If not, then you've wasted that $100 so far.

RwP

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,523 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,130 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OWWWWW

Well, the mechanics at my machine shop told me that I need a conversion kit and come recharger fluid. I bought the kit, installed the nipple on the low pressure side and filled the system up with refrigerant. Didn't do anything else because.... wasn't aware of that.

Anyways, with two of the 22 oz cans in there, the air conditioning system works, is cool, and is very nice on a warm day, BUT the gauge still tells me LOW and I wanted to pep it up to the charged mark.

I have never had a car with air conditioning before, sure is a nice feature when wearing a wool suit on a warm day to a job interview or court date, etc.

Adam

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
OWWWWW

Well, the mechanics at my machine shop told me that I need a conversion kit and come recharger fluid. I bought the kit, installed the nipple on the low pressure side and filled the system up with refrigerant. Didn't do anything else because.... wasn't aware of that.

Anyways, with two of the 22 oz cans in there, the air conditioning system works, is cool, and is very nice on a warm day, BUT the gauge still tells me LOW and I wanted to pep it up to the charged mark.

I have never had a car with air conditioning before, sure is a nice feature when wearing a wool suit on a warm day to a job interview or court date, etc.

Adam
Ha, my old bird didnt have AC (working), so I had a stack of extra shirts in my back seat, and I always had a cooler of water. That was my redneck AC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts