TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the specs., and how much did you pay for it? A few places around here are trying to charge me $600 for true dual exaust (2.25") w/ flowmaster 50 series mufflers.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Mine was way too much....

I paid 300 for the pipes,120 a piece for the x-pipes(2),120 a piece for the mufflers(2),128 for the tips,and 180 to have it installed.The sad thing is that I only had it on the car a week and the tranny gave out,put another motor in and it gave out so I sold the car.All that was on my 93 Mark VIII but the buyer agreed to let me keep the exhaust,4:10 rear end and Dennys Driveshaft.So all that is going to be going on my 96 T-Bird soon.
The pipes came from Dan,the x-pipes and mufflers from Geno and the tips I bought local as well as the install.The mufflers,x-pipes and tips are stainless steel and the pipes are aluminized 2.5".
Chris

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
drivex said:
http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/

$65 apiece.. but there is another company out there, "FlowTech" I believe is the name.. that has a clone of Flowmaster's muffs because Flowmaster's patent ran out.

Do some research.
LOL! Flowtech isn't a flowmaster knock-off. It's made by Holley, and is of much better quality than any flowmaster. The sound is VERY unique. It sounds like a flowmaster at idle only.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
U dont wanna how much my bro paid for flowmasters. I dunno what you call it but he got pips fro the y back to the flowmasters and some tips. $350 bucks. Sux for him Now i capitalize and get them for free.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got my cat-back system for like $280 including shipping. From Pro-max

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
WaLieN said:
What are the specs., and how much did you pay for it? A few places around here are trying to charge me $600 for true dual exaust (2.25") w/ flowmaster 50 series mufflers.
If that quote includes high flow cats AND you get them to
kick the specs up to 2.5" you'd have something.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm about to pay...

$225 to have true duals put on my 3.8 n/a with glasspacks in the back. I'm using 2.25" pipes, and taking out the 3rd cat and resonator. I think it'll sound pretty sweet. Anyone else think so?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Only one way to find out......

don't be surprised if it's a bit louder than, and possibly
a little more razzy than, you might have imagined. You might
want to have those glass packs clamped, not welded, just in
case you want to change 'em out for something else later.

Good luck,

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
drivex said:
$75 for the custom bent true duals. $54 apiece for the Flows.
Wow, that's DAMN cheap. Were they mandrel bent?

Does anyone have Flowtech mufflers? I kinda want a muffler that wont have TOO much drone, but sounds like something different from Flowmasters. Do you think dual glasspacks + dual mufflers would help tackle the drone a bit?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Mine wasn't mandrel bent, because I've a 1991 with the crazy gas tank. It's 2 and 1/4 all the way back... removed 3rd cat and resonator. The guy who did it does good custom work.. and he's out in Sandusky, OH... I can give you a number if you want.

If you don't want the drone, don't throw on glasspacks or it'll just make it louder. If you have a V8, you'll have some drone.. but nothing horrendous. With the windows closed, I barely hear my Delta Flow 40 series muffs. But when I'm getting on it... yep they growl.

I used to have Dynomax Turbo Mufflers, and they simply weren't loud enough for my tastes.. I've loved the Flowmasters ever since.

I don't remember the exact name of the company who's using Flowmasters design.... but somebody is... selling Flowmaster clones for half the price.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
drivex said:
Mine wasn't mandrel bent, because I've a 1991 with the crazy gas tank. It's 2 and 1/4 all the way back... removed 3rd cat and resonator. The guy who did it does good custom work.. and he's out in Sandusky, OH... I can give you a number if you want.

If you don't want the drone, don't throw on glasspacks or it'll just make it louder. If you have a V8, you'll have some drone.. but nothing horrendous. With the windows closed, I barely hear my Delta Flow 40 series muffs. But when I'm getting on it... yep they growl.

I used to have Dynomax Turbo Mufflers, and they simply weren't loud enough for my tastes.. I've loved the Flowmasters ever since.

I don't remember the exact name of the company who's using Flowmasters design.... but somebody is... selling Flowmaster clones for half the price.
Well, wouldn't adding glasspacks before mufflers kinda calm the drone a bit, or would it make it louder? I don't understand how it would make it louder. Well, I was thinking about Flowtech mufflers, but I haven't heard what they sound like on 4.6's. Does it have any freeway drone?

·
Registered
93 Posts
cost

$270 for the rear cat-back section for the 3.8L from Summit part no. FLO-17111....mandrel bent 2.25" pipes, 40 series flow's, not too loud and doesn't sound ricey at all, if you'd like a sound clip i think i am going to get one of me driving past, possibly including the video......revs at a dead stop tell you nothing about how it will sound while driving......i mean come on.......who parks and listens to your exhaust.....anyways here is the pic of the setup on my 3.8L just got it done this week.... it only hangs so low cause my car was lowered 3 inches and it wouldnt fit above the differential, but its not welded so i can always raise the car again to stock height and redo it....

·
Registered
195 Posts
WaLieN,...a good muffler shop in San Diego is...

A place called Ledesma's it is in the south bay area and they did an outstanding job on my bird. I used flowmasters and they built the exhaust without the third cat which alot of (most) shops around here won't do. He put in a x-pipe instead and true duels after that all the way back. If you what to hear what it sounds like. You need to come out to the La Mesa cruise night on Thursdays and look for my green 97 t-bird. If you want directions email me or try and im me on aol in the evenings. Anyway Ledesma's is about the cheapest place that I know in San Diego and they do outstanding work.

·
Listening on 141.850 mHz!
829 Posts
I posted a similar thread to this in the old forum, about a price I was quoted to do my exhaust when the time comes. WaLieN, you're not too far off the mark in your quote for yours, mine is exactly the same. Here's my original post:

<< On Saturday I needed to take my 94 Ford conversion van for some brake and exhaust work at a local Speedy Muffler shop where I live in Michigan. While making small-talk with the shop manager I mentioned that I wanted to get some custom exhaust work on my 97 Limited Edition from the cat-back using the Flowmaster set. He advised me to "stay away" from Flowmasters. He then said he had the capability to make a custom exhaust for me using "VECTOR 2000" mufflers or something like that. I heard them on a 1968 Ford Mustang fastback he just did and they certainly sounded better than Flowmasters. I told him I wanted my Thunderbird to sound like that and flow better than the stock set-up. He quoted me a price of $600 for the whole thing, including pipes, however thick I wanted be it 2.25 or up to 3 inch diameter, H-pipe, bending them on his machine, mufflers, hangers and labor. I said I either wanted to gut or remove the 3rd cat and he said no problem, as long as the other 2 remain on, and that he can transfer the downstream set of oxygen sensors into the new pipes. Granted, he may have wanted to sell me HIS set of Speedy's mufflers, and they did sound great on that Mustang, but then again, that Mustang had a 351 Cleveland in it and a different cam. To "sweeten" it up for me he gave me his business card and put "10%" off custom exhaust" with his signature and initials on it. So now I want to ask all of you:

Is $540~$600 too much money to spend for a custom exhaust system from this manager at Speedy? Should I stick with my original plan of going with a Flowmaster cat-back system? Is the Flowmaster system I can buy a "do-it-yourself" job I can do in my driveway? This guy told me my car would be an all-day affair; that I would have to drop it off first thing in the morning and then pick it up before they closed for the day. He wasn't pushy at all about it, and I told him it wouldn't be right away that I wanted to do it, that it would be in the next year or "so". But he did say NOT to go with the 2-chamber Flowmasters that I wanted.

What do you think about this, you guys who have custom exhausts and Flowmasters? I was tempted to accept his offer, even though I think it's a little on the high side. I wish it were in the $400~425 range.

Let me know. >>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts