TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help from you boys and girls.
What is the lightest weight MN12 out there?

Who has lightened their MN12 the most?
Verified on an accurate scale.

Give drivers weight if in the vehicle.
Note weight reductions, product and lbs lost.

Example: 95 XR7, V8 full power, street legal, stock body and interior.
3880lbs., w/250 lb driver and 1/2 tanl of E85.

Plus weight added w/roll bar and/or sub frame connectors.

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
I haven't run it across the scales to see, but the lemons cougar has had a lot of weight taken out of it. There is the obvious of no heat/AC, then there is no dash, no interior, 1 racing seat, no inner sheet metal on the doors or quarters, no door reinforcement bars, no door frame below the latch, no upper window channel on the doors, no windows (except windshield), fiberglass hood, pinned on, no hood hinges, no hood latch, no lights, grille, or header panel. Weight added back in would be the full roll cage, 13" cobra brake conversion, 17x9 wheels with 275/40/17 tires, and our diff cooler setup.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I have put my lemons tbird on the scale.
- Full tank/fluids (ready to race)
- Racing seat, no driver
- Full lemons legal cage (~200 LB)
- limited dash (1/2 of it), no A/C
- Fiberglass sheet for trunk lid, no lights
- V6 engine
- skinned, cut down to remove window frame on doors
- skinned hood, spare tire well removed
- All excess wires stripped out of their harnesses
- Interior panels cut out whenver possible (including the package tray).
- No glass except front windshield
- All tar scraped out

3000LB

Pic here of the sales:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=138779

Short of replacing the fenders/vehicle skin with fiberglass (not sure if that would be lemons legal and definitely not a good idea), removing the front windshield in some fancy plastic (also a bad idea), replacing wheels with lighter weight wheels, and maybe cutting off the roof and replacing it with a short panel over the driver to skirt by the arm restraint rules, I'm not sure how much more weight you could pull out of this chassis.

Compared to others, this car is a pig. It's my pig though (b/c I got it for cheap and it's proven to be safe) so I do my best with the lipstick :)

-g

·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
S4gunn, otherwise its a stock unibody, with the front bumper.
With or without driver.

MadMikey and S4gunn, do your cars have any subframe connectors.
Road racing is different, but you guys took out alot of structural support.

Or was your roll cage/bar enough to make it a stable platform.

·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I ask about the parts of the unibody that were removed is, way back
when I was a teenager, I had a friend who had a 1970 duster.
He remover everything, got the idea to remove the cross brace behind
the rear seat.
The car was never the same again, all kinds of weird gyrations
when driving.

·
Super Moderator
7,662 Posts
Yes road racing is much different than drag racing, but I figured many of the weight reduction methods would be the same. I don't have subframe connectors, but the cage adds a lot of rigidity. The cage is an 8 point, with an additional diagonal brace, so 9 attachment points. I also have a rear shock tower brace and lower control arm brace made of roll bar tubing, and I have welded in 1"x1" tubing to make lower engine cradle braces. It is stiff enough that when you jack up 1 wheel high enough to get under the car, it is only sitting on the wheel diagonally opposite. I also still have my package shelf. I wasn't brave enough to cut that out, even with the cage bracing everything up.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Rick

You planning a 5.0 swap in the Cougar? Tired of running Mod Motor class with the full on race cars?

Mine weighs in at 3680 with a full tank of fuel in the 10 gallon cell, with the subframe connectors attached, the drag tires and all. The AC stuff & passenger side air bag is all thats removed. I have also got the fiberglass hood thats about 15lbs lighter than stock in my case which I forgot to mention. Thats also with full interior and power accessories with me in it and all the sound deadening still in the car. My car is a 96. Don't know if they were actually lighter or not. I go about 165. So the car itself is about 3515.

Ran mine across the scale the fall before and got the weight. I have the sheet somewhere.

If you pull the sound deadening and some of the other non essential stuff out I'm sure you can get it on down there. The only other thing to do is go on a diet with you and the car LOL!!!!!

You are a big guy! I'll drive it for you ROFL!!

·
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tess, there's no combustible stuff left in your
Ride.

All steel, right
With or without driver.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
S4gunn, otherwise its a stock unibody, with the front bumper.
With or without driver.

MadMikey and S4gunn, do your cars have any subframe connectors.
Road racing is different, but you guys took out alot of structural support.

Or was your roll cage/bar enough to make it a stable platform.
I had to read your post a few times to determine whether it was a question or a statement. If I understood you correctly, here are my answers:

* My car has a stock unibody. I'm pretty sure i ditched the foam and plastic bits underneath the bumper shell but the metal bumper itself is still intact.
* no subframe connectors. The car is already heavy enough.
* I checked with my cage builder before cutting anything; On the package shelf itself I opened it up more but there is some amount of metal going across still -- I actually use it as an attachment point for my rear wing mount (aka a shopping cart).
* The V-brace behind the seat is long gone
* Stock tank (not a fuel cell)
* Even with only a 6 pt cage (I'm counting it up in my head and I'm not sure where the last two attachment points are), my car is also quite surprisingly stuff. I've surprised myself with the teetering as well. I wouldn't drive this car (with its full cage) on the street/hwy on a regular basis though. Even with a 5pt harness, having my head that close to the bar (even if its padded) seems like a really bad idea.

-g

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts