TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropping the transmission pan and draining the torque converter, will leave how much fluid in the transmission?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Probley around 4-5 quarts.Just a guess though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
When I dropped the pan & drained the converter I put around 12 qts in to fill it up. Not sure of the total capacity though.

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
There's a few more quarts under the valvebody, from personal experience; when you put it on a stand, a couple more will come out as you rotate it around.

The book capacity is 16 quarts, but I only put 13 in one that had been out and rotated over, but the valve body was still attached to it.

If you are under the car when you remove the valvebody, there's pretty much exactly enough to soak you in fluid...

To refill one there a procedure I followed from here, somewhere...

EDIT: Yeah, that's with the converter drained; it was new.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The book capacity is 16 quarts, but I only put 13 in one that had been out and rotated over, but the valve body was still attached to it.
Does this include the Converter???I'm sure it does.I just R&R'd a 4R70W and it only took about 13 quarts in the case.From looking at the converter it looks like it might take 2-3 quarts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
yeah thats what i just did your gonna need about 13-14 i didnt flush just pull the pan and drain the tc i put a jack under the pan took off the bolts lowered the jack down and didnt spill any.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
I usually just pull one of my tranny cooling lines from the ext cooler I had installed and pump it out... I could no longer drain the converter since it was a dirtydog 3K stall unit with no plug but I could only ever fit 12-13qts in as well after fully draining the tranny... I don't know how they fit 15.9 qts in it :/

·
Super Moderator
10,926 Posts
I don't know how they fit 15.9 qts in it :/
I'm with you; I drained everything + the converter, flushed lines, rotated the tranny, accum bores were empty, everything I could think of, and only about 13 quarts went in.

You reckon there's that much in the clutches themselves?

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
thats the only thing I can think of at this point. The only way to full drain it is to flip the tranny up on its end and let it drain out the front without the TC on it... maybe then it will drain out the clutches and come out the front holes or something. Or maybe leak it from the tail shaft. But its definitely getting stored somewhere.

When I did my Jmod I pumped the fluid out of the tranny. Drained the TC. Removed the pan. There was a little left in it. THen I unbolted the valve body and more fluid splatted everywhere. The car sat without the valve body for a week with just the pan on it so it could gravity drain. I fully cleaned out the valve body and jmodded it. When I finally bolted everything back up it still didn't hold 13 qts... very strange.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts