TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Lets just say PHATBRD has a custom insurance for $45,000

How much i spent? I don't even know...I lost count long time ago:)

And it seems to be a endless money pit, my wife hates it lol
Damn I was waiting to see your total

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I'd estimate I've got around $10k total in mine, maybe more, if you count all the things I've done, and then changed and replaced and what-not. The body of the car shows 217k miles, but there's not much of the car that has more than 25k miles on it.

·
Super Moderator
10,645 Posts
I'm not even going to think about listing all the stuff I've bought for my cars; I think there's a 5000 character limit anyway. :)

All I can say is that I bought stuff that was worn out as it happened, but more stuff was replaced as upgrades than worn out.

All suspensions that have ball joints and rubber stuff wear out after 15 years, even if not driven too much. If everything was bearing$, it might last forever; but it wouldn't be a Ford either. :)

I totaled one, bought another, fixed the first one(Lazarus), blew up the second one (Red Cougar, 120k miles later on a car that had 120k on it already), bought the third one, and totaled it less than 1000miles later. :cool: Kids, don't do this at home!

The engine is ready for the second one, and the front clip is laying beside the tbird; all I need is good weather, lol.

Blowing the airbags totals these cars, btw. :( Even tho you can buy them for <$50 each.

Mine blew about 5 seconds after I bent my hood on his bumper at about 5mph... :facepalm: (bad tires)

Lazarus is my daily driver, and my experimental platform. :) It's been bent, pounded, and straightened on a rack, lol.

Over the years, I added an Al driveshaft, a 2002 tranny, ddog tc, suspension adders, brake mods, tuning, and now Bracing everywhere! (thanks, JL for everything except the rear STB from Racecougar!) I love this place! :)

The red cougar has a PI motor going into it as soon as I can get 2 dry days together, lol. I have a modded tranny for it, as well as a TC. It already has an Al DS and an 02 tranny, but it's not jmodded yet. I'll swap it, and mod the other one. I have a huge tru cool cooler, and 3/8 " lines, custom bent by ddog. :)
And it has a 'special' tune... :zdevil:

The tbird is ready to go back together; I have a pile of parts for it. DS, Tranny, ddog TC, Tranny cooler &lines, Racecougar RSTB, sport springs, an older Lonnie tune on a Xcal2 I bought here (which, along with a pi intake dropped a lifter on the red cougar (at about 5500r's), lol. Don't mod a 240k mile motor. :) def not the tunes fault, lol; I was burning second into third when it blew.)

I wanted another set of konis, but my order was canceled. :bawling: Mo more Konis...

EDIT: I left out this fact: none of my MN12's have ever left me stranded unless I broke them; and in some cases, not even then.

I drove the Red cougar over 50 miles Home while Broken not once, but twice: Once with the tranny broken, once with a valve dropped. And I drove the tbird home after I totaled it. (Lazarus came home on a trailer; lady was passing on a hill, and I was turning.)

Remember:
Life isn't about what you did or didn't spend; it's about what you did with what you had. :thumbsup: And how much fun you had!

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
My XR7 is insured under an agreed value policy for $40K currently...and that would cover most of what I've spent on it (not counting labor, of course). And to think that I only paid $250 for the car a decade ago, including delivery.

·
Registered
276 Posts
My 92 5.0 I bought the car for 100. Had 2 transmissions built for it so 1600. Motor rebuild about 1500.

My 91 SC I bought the car for 800. 100 dollars on solid rubber motor mounts. 30 bucks on a VMM. When I got the car the owner before me did over 1600 dollars in upgrades so I got one hell of a deal.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
13 years ha, to much.

how bout just 2011

trans rebuild 800
other misc trans stuff 275
chunk of aluminum and a plastic box. 2100

car has been moved ~50 feet this year. still have a list a mile long that needs to be bought in order to get moving again.

·
Super Moderator
12,072 Posts
My XR7 is insured under an agreed value policy for $40K currently...and that would cover most of what I've spent on it (not counting labor, of course). And to think that I only paid $250 for the car a decade ago, including delivery.
I think it's interesting that your agreed value policy and my estimated total are so close.

I see you and PHatbrd have agreed value policies. How do I go about getting one?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Wow

Hello

Wow, Now this is dedication!!

I would also Not know how much I spent!!:zdevil:

And my car is Uninsurable!:ztoohot:

I can say I spent more on my engine than most did on whole car.
Stock 351W 2bbl.:crazy: And I had the engine!

:wavey:

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I would have to add up my receipts to be sure, but its a ****ton of cash. I paid $11.5k for my 94 in Jan 98 and it only had 49k miles on it. I'm estimating $15k-$20k or more since then but I've owned it for 13 years and have replaced the AC system, entire power steering system, entire suspension (some parts several times), tranny rebuilt twice, motor being rebuilt right now, all poly bushings, ball joints, head gaskets twice, custom interior in leather and 90% of the work had to be done at a shop since I cant work on it myself so I paid out the ass for it. Thats not counting the hundreds of hours working on LED's, gauges, bezels trying to repair everything on the interior. Like it says in my sig, there's not much left that's original but I love my Bird and no, I would never even consider selling it.

So about the same price as a new car but it pretty much is a new car now that I've drove for 13 years.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here's my breakdown

Initial purchase price: $1000
Replacement of injector o-rings, coolant tube, water pump nipple, coolant, spark plugs, wires, PI Intake upgrade (NPI was leaking), etc. $400
New tires $475

I'm looking at roughly $1875, which actually is pretty decent for a 97 with 156,000 on it, with a motor that has 80,000 on it.

·
The Parts Guy
7,326 Posts
Contact your insurance company. I have insurance through Erie and I know they do "custom car insurance", where you can declare a value that you want the car insured for.
Like JeffTbird93 said, your insurance agent should be able to set you up. My policy is through Safeco, but Grundy, Hagerty, and others offer policies for modified or collector cars.

·
Super Moderator
12,072 Posts
Contact your insurance company. I have insurance through Erie and I know they do "custom car insurance", where you can declare a value that you want the car insured for.
Like JeffTbird93 said, your insurance agent should be able to set you up. My policy is through Safeco, but Grundy, Hagerty, and others offer policies for modified or collector cars.
Thanks guys. I'll look into that.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I have hagerty on my 73......with a declared value.

Insurance is only $110 a year for me!
Thats pretty low. Yes, at Geico they told me I would have to take it to a local office to get a declared value policy. But I'm not sure if you can just say, it would cost me $20k to replace it or if you need an official appraisal.

I can only get liability for $110 a year here. Right now I'm paying $700 a year but I have a lot of coverage and need to change it.

100k/300k liability
100k/300 uninsured
100k/300k underinsured
$100 ded collision
$200 ded comp / $0 glass
$10k medical

It's to the point where regular collision and comp are worthless and that's half of the cost right there. I'm probably going to drop the coverage limits to 60/100, drop medical since no one is ever in the car with me and I have killer medical insurance. Then get a stated price policy for the collision and comp. I'm not sure why mine is so high, I have no tickets or points, clean record, no accidents and I pay the same that my girlfriend pays for her 07 Civic, but she does have the multi-policy discount.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Between the PI headswap, the upgrades, and replacement parts I'm still south of $4k.

Sadly, that is about to change as I'm pretty sure the trans will grenade this year.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Thats pretty low. Yes, at Geico they told me I would have to take it to a local office to get a declared value policy. But I'm not sure if you can just say, it would cost me $20k to replace it or if you need an official appraisal.

I can only get liability for $110 a year here. Right now I'm paying $700 a year but I have a lot of coverage and need to change it.

100k/300k liability
100k/300 uninsured
100k/300k underinsured
$100 ded collision
$200 ded comp / $0 glass
$10k medical

It's to the point where regular collision and comp are worthless and that's half of the cost right there. I'm probably going to drop the coverage limits to 60/100, drop medical since no one is ever in the car with me and I have killer medical insurance. Then get a stated price policy for the collision and comp. I'm not sure why mine is so high, I have no tickets or points, clean record, no accidents and I pay the same that my girlfriend pays for her 07 Civic, but she does have the multi-policy discount.
mine is low, cause I have a few limitaions on mine....can't go over 5000 miles a year, and my declared value currently is only 5,000. Once the car is finished, I will put a higher declared value on it.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
mine is low, cause I have a few limitaions on mine....can't go over 5000 miles a year, and my declared value currently is only 5,000. Once the car is finished, I will put a higher declared value on it.

I have the low mileage policy too, the lowest they allow even though I drive 15k miles a year.

Did you have to get an appraisal? or did you just tell them what you think it would cost.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts