TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1994 Thunderbird that has been sittin in my garage since the head gsakets blew about a year ago. The engine still turns over ans will start, but bogs down and shuts off after it gets up to temp, I am assuming because the thermostat opens up and collant gets into the cylinders. I am tired of it takin up my garage, so I want to repair it, so I was goin to do it myself but I am pretty much too lazy to do it between my work and my college classes. I usually go out and party rather than take apart that nasty 3.8 nightmare.

I was actually wandering a couple things like:

1. The price of just replacing the head gaskets and any other work that is needed and keep the 3.8

2. Swapping out to a 4.2, 5.0, or 4.6, better for reliability, and I heard that a 5.0 is very similar to the 3.8, and the 4.2 is the same exact block. I am guessing a 3.8 SC engine is pretty expensive, but it would be nice!

3. Just sellin it for like $1000 or around what it's worth the way it is. How much is it worth the way it is? To me, nothin!

So if someone could reply with some educated guesses, or past knowledge of having to deal with this problem, please, I could use the help right now!

Jon Puckett

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Puckett02 said:

1. The price of just replacing the head gaskets and any other work that is needed and keep the 3.8
$1500-$2000

Puckett02 said:
2. Swapping out to a 4.2, 5.0, or 4.6, better for reliability, and I heard that a 5.0 is very similar to the 3.8, and the 4.2 is the same exact block. I am guessing a 3.8 SC engine is pretty expensive, but it would be nice!
Can't use v8 or SC, you will blow tranny. 4.2 is ok, but is same block :rolleyes:

Puckett02 said:
3. Just sellin it for like $1000 or around what it's worth the way it is. How much is it worth the way it is? To me, nothin!
Go to a junkyard. Find any 3.8L from a 89-97 bird or 94-98 stang (94-97 bird preferred). Put in your car. Sell.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
IF nothing internally is damaged It should cost between 900-1200$ depending on labor rates as it ONLY costs 350$ for parts and machining to mill the heads flat. I'm not sure on Flatrate BUT if they quote you OVER 12 hours to do it then go somewhere else as the first time took me 15hours (ford taurus) and the second time took me 11 hours (swapping ported heads and camshaft into my engine)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did it my self for $300, 150 for the gasketset w/ headbolts and 150 at the machine shop (resurfaced and vavle guide seals). i think you should do it your self its the most economical way. then you can always sell it ( for alot more w/ the head gaskets fixed) and buy one w/ a 4.6

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I replaced my engine for $1200. On my Contour.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
the 4.2 is a upcoming thing now in the v6 world of bird and cats, its a really strong engine witha lot of potential, but if oyu want to go v8, get a 5.0, or if you really wanna get crazy, 351w. they will bolt right up just fine, but youll need a computer unless you go carbed. however, if you do a v8, expect to need a rear end rather quick and a transmission too. -greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts