TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of maybe a 9lb k bell kit maybe too much for the explorer block but I might be wrong. what do you guys think? it's inter cooled so that helps. maybe Timb can give some of his insite as he seems too know alot about the explorer swap and suppercharging it. But I know that some others know alot about it to so thanks for any info.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
There is nothing special about the explorer block other than it doesn't weigh as much. It has the same pathetic pistons all 4.6's have. With a good tune I'm sure you can run for a while (A-train has been running 9lbs on a stock mustang block for some time now) but as everyone says it is only a matter of time before a ringland collapses. An explorer block with forged pistons would be a gauranteed combo for a 9lb KB. If I has forged pistons I would turn the wick up on the SVO but 6psi is all I feel safe with on the stock internals. I don't care to be on the bleeding edge

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just to get this strait.....is this an entire Explorer you're trying to supercharge, or just an Explorer engine that's been transplanted in your Bird?

Have you considered one of the AED kits as a less expensive, simpler alternative?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
yeah its all really in your tune.... with my stock block i wasnt going to push more than 6psi. get a good tune and you could push 9psi... remember your on barrowed time with this stock bottom end.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
awdRocks said:
yeah its all really in your tune.... with my stock block i wasnt going to push more than 6psi. get a good tune and you could push 9psi... remember your on barrowed time with this stock bottom end.
Try telling that to some of the Mustang guys I converse with at one of the other Boards. Their reasoning is that since the car hasn’t blown up in the first 10,000 miles since their 9psi KB install, it’s not ever going to go....hell, it might even take a little more boost. :rolleyes: . Only time is gonna tell on this one and to go at it with that attitude the way some of them do, is going to result in a lot of expensive tow bills and a few scratching heads. A good tune is only going to get you so far. Elevated cylinder pressures, bad gas, a big temperature drop, or a missfire combined with glass stock pistons, tooth pic like rods and Murphy's Law is going to take care of the rest.:D

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
aceospades said:
6psi it is. I could always do more if I rebuilt it with forged stuff but will the block it self take the bost?
yeah i wouldnt do more than 6psi with stock internals. be safe.

your not even scratching the surface of what the block can handle. someone correct me if im wrong but your block should be good up to about 600hp.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
um not to get off the whole explorer thing but how much will a 3.8 tbird engine take??? im thinkin on gettin one but dont know how hard to run it

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
It's been discussed before, but basically, an N/A 3.8 is not the same (internal-wise) as an SC 3.8. It's better to go buy you an SC that you like.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts