TCCoA Forums banner

How much oil?

947 views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  BlackCat94 
#1 ·
How much oil does a 97 4.6L take? I'm changin the oil in my car tommorow I have done it before but I forget how much I was supposed to use. I assume about 5qts. Also How much oil does an 88 2bbl. 2.3 Ranger take? I would just look in the owners manual, but neither one of them came with it still in. Thanks.

#3 ·
my 95 4.6 says 5qt's. It should say in the back of your owners manual.

Im not sure whats up with mine tho, sometimes I hear an engine knocking sound that i Know is oil related, usualy when i add a fresh quart it stops for a while. Anyone else had this problem?

#6 ·
ditto. I always use a motorcraft filter, and Mobil 1 in my car. I use a motorcraft filter and Valvoline Max Life in my Ranger. Does anybody know about those new Napa filters with spin flow technology?

#7 ·
JustinH said:
sounds like you are not using a motorcraft oil filter.
Well, as i recall, Motorcraft IS what ford uses, and since Ive taken my car their the last 2 times for an oil change, thats what i assumed they were using. It still makes that noise. Tho i dont tell them to use any special kind of oil, perhaps i should switch to max life seeing how my car has recently past 100k miles.

#10 ·
i use max life synthetic in my 94 4.6 and i like it, though i still change it every 3000 miles. with the motorcraft filter and i don't have any noise....

#11 ·
97Tibirdman said:
What kind of oil are you using now?
I dono.. whatever kind they use standard. As I said, i dont tell them to use an kind of special oil, so whatever they decide to put in it, is what they put in it.

#14 ·
ford dealers will use the recomended oil and filter, so its a motorcraft filter, and 5w30 motor craft oil, i buy the same stuff from wallmart for mine, run it every time, costs me less then 20 bucks usually around 12 dollars, its the way to go

i was also under the impression motorcraft filters are just wix filters with the motorcraft name on them, so ive used wix before from my old high school

#15 ·
JoeyICU said:
ford dealers will use the recomended oil and filter, so its a motorcraft filter, and 5w30 motor craft oil, i buy the same stuff from wallmart for mine, run it every time, costs me less then 20 bucks usually around 12 dollars, its the way to go

i was also under the impression motorcraft filters are just wix filters with the motorcraft name on them, so ive used wix before from my old high school
5w30 motorcraft is semi synthetic oil made by conoco philips, an excellent motor oil.

Motorcraft filters are made by purolator, with a special anti drainback valve designed for ford.

JH

#17 ·
cougar_ricer said:
Valvoline 10w30 Synthetic all the way:headbang: (sorry im bored... just my .02 ;) )
he!! yeah broda :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :headbang: :znanner:

#18 ·
hehe....i'm using mobil1 5w30 fully synthetic on my 164k motor.....

#19 ·
Currently I'm running 10w30 Mobil 1, with a NAPA Gold (WIX) filter #1372

Official NASCAR oil and filter, need I say more?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.