TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Hittin' Switches
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey.

my car is starting to do the whole smoking thing... ive had like 5 people say its my seals...

im thinking about going ahead and getting the engine rebuilt. how much does this normaly cost?

if were talkin a thousand bucks, itd probably be worth getting new engine, but my engine is still a while off from being shot for sure.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In my experience of newer vehicle engines, it has been cheaper to go to the junk yard and pull an engine out of a low-mileage rollover or other wreck. This way you get an engine that has the upgrades, etc.

My 95 smoked from the time I bought it (72k) until I sold it (104k) and the person I sold it to is still just adding a quart of oil every 2k miles. I wouldn't worry until it starts fouling the plugs or you fail emissions... that's my $0.02 worth. :cool:

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
What are you looking to do with it? Personally, I would rebuild it with a forged pistons and rods and some newer heads. You would be looking at $2000.00 - $8000.00 depending on what you intend to do.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
Do an explorer swap and call it a day.
:zwthstpd:

Unless you have major plans. Before then, start using MaxLife oil (I don't usually recommend "oils", but it helped a lot to decrease the smoking in my 94) and see if that helps after about 3 oil changes. I also agree.... as long as you're not fouling plugs, just let her smoke. :D

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
do an explorer swap and call it a day.
When you're right, you're right!
Listen to this man musto, he knows what he is speaking about!
(not that I haven't already suggested this sometime in the past as I recall)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I bought a 95 Town Car with 113k on it a year ago. No noticeable smoke, but it was over a quart low. I started using Castrol 10w-40 Max life oil and it seemed to be only about a quart low after 3,000 miles. I now have 134k on it with no noticeable change in consumption, the plugs looked clean last time I pulled them. I have gotten a little bit cheap and use wally world 10w-40 Max life oil ( $8.00 for a 5 quart jug) and change it every 2500 miles with a Motorcraft filter every other time (5000) miles. This is my daily driver and I don't want to put money that I don't need to in it.
I got a new engine for my 95 Tbird at 103k mostly to get a PI engine and it did have the valve seal problem.
So depends on how long you plan to keep your car and how deep your pockets are. I figure I can easily go to 150,000 on the Town Car by just throwing oil at it.

·
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada
2,118 Posts
I think Jurgen was agreeing with you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts