TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I service my car quite regularly since I work at a lube shop, but what about you guys?

How often do you:
Change your oil?
Flush your trans?
Change your powersteering fluid?
Change your rear diff fluid?
Flush your coolant?
Change your fuel filter?
Replace your airfilter or clean your K&N or similar?
Replace your PCV valve?
Replace your belt?

Whats your brand preferances?

Heres mine.

I change my oil every 3,000k with royal purple 10w40 synthetic and 2 motorcraft FL-1 filters (dual remote mounted oil filters)
I flush my trans every 15k with Castrol Mercon 5
I change my trans filter every 30k
I flush my powersteering every 30k with Castrol Mercon 5
I flush my rear diff fluid every 60k with royal purple 75w90 and ford friction additive
I flush my coolant every 30k with Zerex 50/50 green
I replace my fuel filter every 30k
I clean my K&N panel filter every 3 months.
I replace my PCV valve every 30k
I replace my belt as soon as I notice any unusual wear or cracking (typically once a year) with a goodyear gatorback

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
Ok, here are my answers. Keep in mind that I am the original owner of my car.

How often do you:

Change your oil? - 3 to 4K miles or 6 months whichever comes first - Right now that's usually twice a year.
There was a time when I drove the car a lot and was changing it once a month. - Castrol 10w30

Flush your trans? - About 60K or whenever I'm swapping converters :D - Castrol Mercon V

Change your powersteering fluid? - I've only changed mine once in the life of the car at about 180K miles.

Change your rear diff fluid? - Never changed it. Except when I had the 3.73's put in at about 180K miles

Flush your coolant? Once a year.

Change your fuel filter? Every other year.

Replace your air filter or clean your K&N or similar? When it looks dirty (about twice a year)

Replace your PVC valve? Never have.

Replace your belt? Only replaced it once in 200,000 miles the original belt was showing some good cracking but still ran fine. I saved it as an emergency spare.

And she still has the factory brake fluid in the lines.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
:uppoint:

I thought some of his intervals were a little extreme - on the conservative side. But, he does live in Nevada.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I service my car quite regularly since I work at a lube shop, but what about you guys?

How often do you:
Change your oil? Every 6 months ( I do it by time rather than miles By miles its less than 1000 )
Flush your trans? 30,000 mercon VChange your powersteering fluid? once
Change your rear diff fluid? should I ??
Flush your coolant? every year Prestone premix 60/40
Change your fuel filter? once a yearReplace your airfilter or clean your K&N or similar? airfilter with every oil change
Replace your PCV valve? 4 years ago
Replace your belt? once , at 50,000 but it still looked in good shape

Whats your brand preferances?
Motorcraft , castrol GTX , PRESTONE

·
Super Moderator
16,970 Posts
How often do you:

Change your oil? ...3,000 miles or 6 months Mobile 1 oil 10w 30, with a Motorcraft filter
Flush your trans? ...50,000 miles Mercon V
Change your powersteering fluid? ...never lol
Change your rear diff fluid? ...only did it when i swapped diffs, so every time i do something to the diff :D Motorcraft 75w 140
Flush your coolant? ...every 2 years, i usually use the prestone 50/50 mix and add distilled water if it needs more
Change your fuel filter? ...every year NAPA brand
Replace your airfilter or clean your K&N or similar? ...whenever it looks dirty Fram
Replace your PCV valve? ...Whenever i take the engine apart, oh and the Motorcraft one
Replace your belt? ...i've only had replace it once, but the old one was around 30k miles old, the new Gatorback should last longer

Whats your brand preferances? in bold

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I'm sure some of my intervals are on the extreme side but I get my fluids for free and do all the work myself in down time at my shop, not to mention I put on anywhere from 20,000-40,000mi a year depending on how often I travel which is usually every other weekend.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If you can find a motorcraft distributor near you on the M/C website they can give you very good prices on fluids. (well mine does)

I paid around $4 for qts of M5 and $10 for a gal of motorcraft anti freeze (same or less than castrol and prestone)

·
Registered
874 Posts
Change your oil? i try to change my oil every 3,000 miles with Royal Purple 10w30 with either a K&N filter or a motorcraft

Flush your trans? anywhere from 15 to 20 thousand miles valvoline Mercon V

Change your powersteering fluid? every 6 months valvoline synpower

Change your rear diff fluid? once a year with royal purple 75w140

Flush your coolant? once a year with royal purple, purple ice radiator additive ( the stuff works) prestone coolant 60/40 mix

Change your fuel filter? WIX brand every 10,000 miles

Replace your airfilter or clean your K&N or similar? i try to clean my K&N every 3-5 months.

Replace your PCV valve? twice a year. motorcraft brand

Replace your belt? every year or when i start to see cracks in the belt. goodyear gatorback

Brake fluid? every time i need to do brakes on my car. valvoline synpower dot 4

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
This thread seems like bait for someone to get flamed.
I mean, the first dummy to pipe up and say something like "I change my oil every 15,000 miles whether it needs it or not" is gonna get their butt handed to them, right? lol Or maybe hooking up a garden hose to the oil-fill and give that sucker a good flushing while it's running.....

I don't do anything out of the ordinary. Factory manual recommendations suit me fine for stock vehicles. My Corsica still run/drives great, even with the mileage on it....it's probably just getting broke in. ;) I think it's a safe bet if I treat my Tbird with that same kind of attention to maintenance, it should go that kind of distance as well.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Is it me or 10WXX in a modular engine is asking for trouble? That makes no sense to me if you are using a great quality synthetic oil. I wonder how the top end likes that at startup.

·
Super Moderator
12,021 Posts
There's not that big of a difference between a 10wXX and a 5wXX. I've been running a 10w oil for years without any trouble.

Oh and BTW. CAROLINA PANTHERS RULE!!!!

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
the first number is the winter weight....it just acts like a thinner fluid when cold....it will stilll be a 40 or 30 weight oil.

·
Registered
526 Posts
the first number is the winter weight....it just acts like a thinner fluid when cold....it will stilll be a 40 or 30 weight oil.

I believe you are correct to a certain extent, but I believe the technical explaination is this:

Because of the polymer additives to modern motor oil, the first number is, as you say, the viscosity (room temperature) of 10 weight (or 5 weight, whichever you choose). As the oil warms up, the polymer chains expand, and the oil will not get thinner than a straight weight SAE 30 or 40 oil gets if both oils are at operating temperature.

Did I say that correctly? :eek:

Keep in mind that SAE 30 or 40 is thinner when hot than SAE 10 is when at room temperature....

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
During the 250,000 miles and 10 yrs. that I drove my T-bird:

Change your oil? every 3,000 miles - 7500 miles

Flush your trans? every 50,000 miles

Change your powersteering fluid? once

Change your rear diff fluid? never

Flush your coolant? never, but drained and changed it once

Change your fuel filter? once

Replace your airfilter? with every oil change.

Replace your PCV valve? 50,000 miles

Replace your belt? 80,000 miles

Brake fluid? never

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Allright, here is the 95 bird...

Change your oil? once a year....the oil maybe gets 20 miles put on it a year.

Flush your trans? I've done it about 3 times in the past 50 miles....not by choice though.

Change your powersteering fluid? I don't have power steering.

Change your rear diff fluid? Yes, along with new friction modifier for the t-lock.

Flush your coolant? about 3 times now, in about 100 miles worth.

Change your fuel filter?Yes, but am about to replace the whole fuel system which will get a new filter.

Replace your airfilter? K & N.

Replace your PCV valve? Don't run one anymore, I run a crank case evac setup.

Replace your belt? It is new, but had to with new pulleys.

Brake fluid? Yes, twice now in the past 5 years.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts