TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often should one change PS fluid? I haven't got it changed in about 25k miles in my Tbird...is it time? (no complaints - it steers fine, and no noises)

and what about brake fluid replacement/flush? I think the last time i got that done was when i got the rotors replaced, probably about 40k miles ago.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Both should be replaced when they turn dark. They have test strips you can buy that test the brake fluid, but if it's not clear like new fluid then it should be replaced.
I didn't know they made test strips for brake fluid, that's kind of neat! Can you get those at any parts store, or do you have to go to a "brake shop"? Do they work well? What exactly are they looking for? Contamination? Thermal breakdown?

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have seem a couple of those test here and there at some autoparts store..

But for my sake keep, I flush my tranny, power steering and my brake fluid every 60,000 miles.. Call me over secure, but I like to know everything is mechanically functioning. Even within about 60,000 miles, I believe the fluid has done it's work, been heated and unheated many times, and I notice a slight color change in the fluid too. With the maintenance that I perform above, all 4 of my TBIRDs have never had to deal with any more trans shudder and no power steering noise's or wines! I love it!

EDIT: I even noticed when I first purchased my 97 TBIRD, that the brake fluid was straight black. It has 114K miles, so i figure it was stock. I did a complete flush, with about 3 bottles of DOT 3, and all I could say was WOW! I noticed about a 5-10 feet difference in the braking power. The brakes grabbed soo much harder, I was actually able to lock up my front brakes! I think that old fluid was done with! haha, I was amazed, Just something I'd though I would through in.

·
Super Moderator
9,254 Posts
FYI, the recommended tranny fluid service interval is 30,000 miles.

And as far as brake fluid turning dark, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that's due to moisture.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
i usually flush the brake fluid when i do the pads

i usually flush the p/s when i change the pump, lines, or if its noisy/hard to steer or if its trans fluid in there, anytime i see red trans fluid in the p/s i flush it and put the real clear p/s fluid in there

i usually flush the trans whenever i question it, if its dark brown or dirty dirty red don't mess with it, usually if a trans has over 100k miles and its dirty, changing it out will 99% of the time kill the trans shortly thereafter.

I've probably made over $20,000 just changing trans after idiots flushed the fluid AFTER I told them not to, THEN they have the audacity to come to me to get the trans changed because they think I know more about their vehicles then the guys at the 5min lube place does that flushed the fluid.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Flush the brake fluid? After 192k miles I still run the factory 1997 fluid. Guess my brakes may fail anytime now, but I doubt it.

·
Super Moderator
10,590 Posts
Correct. It is a hydrophilic substance.
And the bad part is if it gets hot enough to boil the water in the fluid, it will form a highly compressible steam bubble in the lines at the caliper.

You will have zero brakes until it cools off.

(the emergency brake will work, but... :rolleyes: )

BTDT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts