TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
89 Cougar, head gasket replacement at 180,000 miles.

I have 2 rocker arm bolts that I rounded the heads off on. I turned the motor over to get them with barely any tension (I could just wiggle the push rods) but these two I couldn't get out.

They are the second and third ones from the back on the passenger side. I barely could get the head off because of how close the head bolt is to the third rocker arm.

I tried the horrible freight bolt extractor, it didn't do anything except remove another layer of metal. I tried pounding on a 3/8 6 and 12 point socket, nothing. I haven't tried heating it up (I have propane torch, maybe some MAPP gas someplace).

Somehow cut off the rocker arms to allow better access to it?

Take it to a machine shop (already taking it in to get the deck checked/surfaced and maybe a valve job and the valve seals replaced) and have them do it?

Junk it and find another unknown one at a junk yard?

EGR tube broke (it has been leaking), DPFE is smoked.

blow it up, stop wasting my time on backup car?

Why I am in there:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I bet it has been apart before and someone used loc-tite on it. Craftsman has a tool for removing rounded headed bolt. Looks like a nut that you hammer on, if it will fit it should help.

Use heat to aid, or weld another nut on it. This is most likely what a shop will do.

I had to get a head for a customer a couple years ago and was ~$150. FYI

If you have the money and want to keep the 3.8 get a set of 96-98 heads and stop the HG issue.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,468 Posts
That's what I'd do.

I stripped a side bolt on the WAP block I used to have and tried the Craftsman extractors. All it did was mangle the head worse. Though I think it mangled it just enough as I was able to hammer on yet another size smaller socket to get it out.

I repackaged and returned the extractor set to Sears soon after :tongue:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was apart before, by me, and I am sure I didn't use locktite. It was 12 years ago, head gaskets (hahaha). None of the other 10 have locktite on them.

I think my best/cheapest bet is to sawzall the rockers, get a couple new ones (7 bucks a piece), use the blue wrench and some vise grips.

I have rounded off bolts before, not this badly, and not recessed.

Biggest issue with the rounded bolt head extractors is that none of them seem to have a 9mm one. I have an older (3 years?) Craftsman set and it skips 9 (8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16), as does the Horrible Freight one. The Horrible Freight one looks higher quality than my Craftsman one.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
My tool of choice for stubborn bolts is Mapp Gas..

I don't let them get to the point of being rounded off, but if they are rounded off for some reason..

A lot of times I'll break out the Dremel, and shape the head of the bolt into a size that fits the next smallest socket size..

I know it's just your back-up car, but you might want to clean some of those metal shavings up and or tape off that area while you work on those bolts..

There's always the Gator Grip..lol

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
i had this same issue when one of the rockerbolts cross-threaded its way down. didn't feel tight at all till around half way down, then it wouldn't turn anymore. had to chase the hole out and when i put the bolt back in, it took a while to get it threading right, and it went on super tight and started rounding off. i doubt very much it would ever come out again, and that rocker rattled a bit cold from that point on. :D

glad i don't have to do a head-job on her since she was sold a while back, but if i ever did, i would get myself a set of newer heads and be done with it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'd try beating a 8 point socket on and see how that goes with the help of a torch of course.

Can other cylinder heads be used on a sc with no problems?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The left and right heads are identical, correct?

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yep, they fit either side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts