TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to rant here, as well as find out if this is normal.

over the weekend, i went to my buddy's mustang shop to try to drop the driveshaft to replace the ujoints. i have the high speed shakes and clunking in reverse happening. anywho, we get the car up on the lift, and i show him that the front ujoint is supposedly bad by grabbing one tire and rotating it back and forth (tranny is in park, so it wont rotate much), and you can hear play in the front ujoint. ignoring me, he points out that the opposite wheel is not rotating in sync with the tire i am rotating by hand. he claims a bad pumpkin build. so i ask what about the clunking, and he says ds needs balancing. then i think why would i pull a ds just to balance it without replacing the 12 year old ujoints at the same time? seeing as i how i wasn't going to get any serious work done, we got the car back on all fours and i left, pissed off. i think he was a little baffled when i said i need to lower the gas tank (<10 minute job with air tools) to get the ds out, which he thought meant dropping the damn thing, so he diverted the problem elsewhere.

even though i have trac lok and the tranny is in park, the opposite wheel isnt supposed to rotate in unison with the other, right?

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
When I had vibration issues, the u joint being bad killed the rear end; the symptom was a lot of play before the other wheel moved.

The other wheel should move the opposite direction to the one you spin (with the tranny locked, of course...); otherwise, you have some serious issues!

Turning the drive shaft should turn both wheels the same direction.

I could turn the wheel almost half a turn before the bad diff moved the other wheel; with the new diff, I barely had to move the wheel before the other one moved.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
I found the rear U joint in my stock shaft feels rough and gritty at 97k so changing it out was more of a good idea than planned. I had no serious vibes and no indicators that its going bad. So maybe yours are seriously shot. Id say get a 93mk8 DS with U joints that arent shot. Whatever you do I wouldnt spend a dime or minute of time on the stock shaft, they suck so bad.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
For normal everyday legal driving with stock gears... the stock shaft is fine. You only need to upgrade if you are going to be spinning it faster than the factory expected. (IE: 3.73's and/or speeds of >100 MPH.)
Although, while it is out I would go ahead and look around to see if there is a Mark unit available but if not no big deal.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Its not the cars. Its the ignorant owners. Every car make has them. Some are just easier to spot.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Trac-lock

If you have a trac lock that is not totally slipping, then the wheels will have to turn the same direction. With the tranny in P you should not be able to turn the wheel at all except for taking up of any slack. For the other wheel to rotate opposite direction, your clutches have to be worn out, or you have to exceed the torque spec'ed for the clutches. A trac lock is a clutch diff that is locked through the plates via the S spring and that is the case regardless of the state of the gear shift lever.

On an open diff, the "other" wheel will rotate opposite if the tranny is in P.

I think you are correct by attempting to turn a tire on a "locked" rearend, puts all the pressure on the "slack" items including both ujoints and the ringgear /pinion slack.

Thats my story and I am stickin to it ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
why the mustang and mustang owner bashing? especially when i bet a good percentage of the members here have them.

dumb mechanics can be found everywhere,be they mustang mechanics or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ok since i'm a member of the corral(for a long time) i'll put myself in the category of those who are not. i'm also a mark viii owner and about to buy a 93 bird.
mustangs are what got me into fords in the first place,and therefore led me here. i will however always have a stang!
how about we poke fun at the ricers instead? lol

·
Super Moderator
7,689 Posts
^^i will help....how many ricers does it take to change a light bulb......lol
Don't you mean how many neon lights does it take to make you a ricer?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Don't you mean how many neon lights does it take to make you a ricer?
Ok gonna go a little foxworthy on you here....

If you have more neon wattage than horse power under the hood... You might be a ricer

If theres more chrome on your engine than a 57 chevy... You might be a ricer

If your exhaust sounds like a lawnmower farting through a megaphone... You might be a ricer

If theres more racing equipment stickers on the car than paint... You might be a ricer

If you put 20 times the cars value in racing parts for high 14 second time slips and think your cool... You might be a ricer

If you have more audio amps than all the lug nuts on your car... You might be a ricer

If you own or can recite lines from 2 fast 2 furious Tokyo drift... You might be a ricer

If your at a car show and see an import car and get a boner before you see the hot Asian model next to it... You might be a ricer

If your at a stop light and hear a engine reving at you and have reved yours to their challenge to race you only to find out its a gas powered weed wacker... You might be a ricer

If theres more carbon fiber on your car then metal.. You might be a ricer

If the FAA is requiring you to file a "flight plan" because your rear "wing" is just that big (seen a few mustangs with that unfortunatly)... You might be a ricer

If you've ever put those cheesy fake hood scoops, gas covers, and magnetic flames from wallmart on your car... You might be a ricer

If you consider a chrome exhaust tip bigger than your stock muffler a "speed" accessory.. You might be a ricer

If you consider wheel spinners or subwoofers a performance upgrade... You might be a ricer

If you bought one of those electric turbos and actually get better ETs and 60 foot times... You might be a ricer

I could do this all day :boom:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Ok gonna go a little foxworthy on you here....

If you have more neon wattage than horse power under the hood... You might be a ricer

If theres more chrome on your engine than a 57 chevy... You might be a ricer

If your exhaust sounds like a lawnmower farting through a megaphone... You might be a ricer

If theres more racing equipment stickers on the car than paint... You might be a ricer

If you put 20 times the cars value in racing parts for high 14 second time slips and think your cool... You might be a ricer

If you have more audio amps than all the lug nuts on your car... You might be a ricer

If you own or can recite lines from 2 fast 2 furious Tokyo drift... You might be a ricer

If your at a car show and see an import car and get a boner before you see the hot Asian model next to it... You might be a ricer

If your at a stop light and hear a engine reving at you and have reved yours to their challenge to race you only to find out its a gas powered weed wacker... You might be a ricer

If theres more carbon fiber on your car then metal.. You might be a ricer

If the FAA is requiring you to file a "flight plan" because your rear "wing" is just that big (seen a few mustangs with that unfortunatly)... You might be a ricer

If you've ever put those cheesy fake hood scoops, gas covers, and magnetic flames from wallmart on your car... You might be a ricer

If you consider a chrome exhaust tip bigger than your stock muffler a "speed" accessory.. You might be a ricer

If you consider wheel spinners or subwoofers a performance upgrade... You might be a ricer

If you bought one of those electric turbos and actually get better ETs and 60 foot times... You might be a ricer

I could do this all day :boom:
in reply to that! lookie here..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oArzG2zGXj4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oArzG2zGXj4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

back to the differential problem.. the "highspeed shaking" maybe like between 60-80 it has a real bad shake.. enough to make the entire car shake..(ex seeing the light from the headlights bounce at night).. mine does that.. and mybe this is my my side clutches are burnt out in my TL lmao

·
Registered
139 Posts
in reply to that! lookie here..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oArzG2zGXj4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oArzG2zGXj4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

back to the differential problem.. the "highspeed shaking" maybe like between 60-80 it has a real bad shake.. enough to make the entire car shake..(ex seeing the light from the headlights bounce at night).. mine does that.. and mybe this is my my side clutches are burnt out in my TL lmao
:uppoint::rofl:
Nice

On the shake problem my dads f-150 used to do that. His U-joints were bad. I would drive it and above like 40 it would start and then get real bad around 50 to 60... I never chanced going faster than that. Drives nice and smooth now I've had it up past 90. If the car sat at all or has really old tires it could also be a flat spot in the tires causing them to go out of balance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mustang owners have to be better than Camaro owners agree or disagree. I use to be amustang owner. Mustang owners only believe onething and that is when it comes to cars mustang is the tradmark or the Ford cars but, If they listen to the Beach Boys they would know that the Thunderbird is the Tradmark or the Ford Cars. Just like the Bel-Air is the signature Tradmark car for Chev. This is atleast how I fell, what yall think.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Heres to add to the U might be a ricer jokes.

If you thank you can out run a Muscle car with your 4 cyl front wheel drive can might be a ricer.

If you think 160 horespower from is a good factory spec HP rating lot Than u might be a ricer.

If you think Chicks dig you because your car is flashy instead of dig you because of your power than u might be a ricer

If u think EURO tailghts and Halo and other types of aftermarket headlights are only for Hondas and were started by the Japanes Than u might be a ricer.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts