TCCoA Forums banner

How tall can I go

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  94badbird 
#1 ·
I’ve got an opportunity to get 4 brand new 225/75/15 tires for my bird for $160 mounted and balanced. I have a 96 bird with stock 215/70/15 currently on it. My concern is with the height of these I realize they’re going to be about 1.5” taller and am just not sure if it will be safe to run them. I’m really in need of tires and this is a great deal if it’s safe, money is definitely an issue so this could save my butt. I’ve searched for information about taller tires but most information on here is about wider tires and the answers are hazy for taller tires so I’m just looking for some direct responses from the experts. Please don’t bash me just looking for education and like stated I’m not having much luck with searching. So In short will they safely fit without rubbing anything and is there any other problems these will cause besides speedo not being accurate. Thanks In advance guys.

#3 ·
Shoot that’s what I’m afraid of. I don’t want anything rubbing. I’d like to hear if anybody else knows exactly how tall is the limit on stock suspension. Also how would I go about measuring to check fitment issues I’d prefer to be accurate before I attempt trial by fire by buying these tires and making a huge mistake.

#7 ·
A 225/75r15 tire will stand 28.3" tall. It is too tall and will not clear the front upper control arm. The max tire height for the front on these cars is 27". I hope that helps.

#8 ·
That's BS. I ran 255-60-15s on my car daily on the street for quite a few years. They are a smidge over 27" tall and wide.

I also ran 28" Goodyear Front runners on it at the track. Now that wasn't out on the road everyday but they did go on and work.

as far as the 225's you'd have to try them and see. These cars were set up for 26.7" tall from the factory.

#9 ·
This picture shows the uca clearance with a 225/60r16 (26.6” tall).

Attachments

#13 ·
Honestly I’m not sure what route I’m going with these tires. I may have found a set of 16” rims for the car instead and if I grab those it will give me a better option for tire sizes. Unfortunately I won’t be able to grab the rims or tires right away at this point because life is not cooperating with me for some reason right now lol but I will figure this out. Thanks everybody for the opinions so far. I found a thread on here for tire sizes on our MN12 and think I will try to get a set of 235/60/16. The same thread says you can put 255/50/16 on the 16” sport wheels but I was thinking those are going to be shorter and be also 10” wide and I just don’t know how safe that wide of tire is on those wheels. I never really messed with tire sizes so this is new to me i usually just grab whatever was on the car and keep it moving but for some reason this car makes me want to upgrade stuff.l don’t get it lol

#15 ·
I may actually need a pair to hold me over until I get all new ones sorted out as you can hear I’m being indecisive about what wheels/tires to go with. I doubt I will make it before you leave this weekend because I’m going to be super busy but I may be able to stop in and grab them another day. I’ll message you when i get a chance to grab them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.