TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Though I read a post on here a while back showing what was needed to be done to a factory solid axle 8.8" Traction Loc in order to make it work with our MN12 IRS rear end. I've got one here out of a late '80's Mustang that I'd like to make work in my MN12. I want to say the side gears needed to be modified, but I can't say for sure?....anyone have the scoop?

My recent poor 60ft times due to my open diff and it's tendancy to "one wheel peel" at the track promped me to make this thread. :D

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I want to say the side gears needed to be modified, but I can't say for sure?....anyone have the scoop?
You got it.

The solid axle cars use a "C" clip on the end of the axle. You have to open the differential and pull the crosspin to be able to shove the axle in and remove the "C" clip to then be able to remove the axle. The "C" clip slides in a big groove at the end of the axle and fits in a recess with a square shoulder on the inboard end of the side gear.

The IRS setup uses a "circlip" which is a spring loaded ring in a small groove at the end of the half shaft stub. The half shaft can simply be pryed out of the differential side gear because of a bevel cut in the end of the splines on the inboard end of the side gear.

Other than that you need to check the number of splines. The MN12/FN10 uses 28 splines where others can be 31 splines.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The IRS setup uses a "circlip" which is a spring loaded ring in a small groove at the end of the half shaft stub. The half shaft can simply be pryed out of the differential side gear because of a bevel cut in the end of the splines on the inboard end of the side gear.

Other than that you need to check the number of splines. The MN12/FN10 uses 28 splines where others can be 31 splines.
So is it the end of the half shaft that needs to be modified, or the side gears themselves?

...and the Trac-Loc is out of a stock Mustang 8.8", so as far as I know it should be a 28-spline set up, just like the MN12 is.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have 2 sets of side gears out, all local shops won't touch them so far. I have a couple more leads to chase down. I am not even going to deal with the 7.5 trak-lok it was a cheap experiment.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Alan, this is what I have (I am only doing one, I probably will never put on in my 89 Cougar, 8.8 or 7.5) is that too much wear to be worth getting them done? can you PM me the address to send them to, any special information I need to know before sending them off (prefered shipping method, need to mark them so they go in the same side in the carrier, anything else I should send) and how you want paid!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I think others might want the information or that you do it. I asked a month ago about and other things have come up and I asked around locally and no one will touch them. Either because they are hardened, don't think they can do the bevel, lathe won't fit in the opening. No one wants to drill my rotors for the different bolt pattern either (one place wants 40 a rotor, jeeze).

I am a sissy now, I smell like friction modifier and that is one step below cat urine, I don't have what it takes anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
That wear doesn't concern me you are not going to strip it to the point it won't work. I think you will find more of it is slime buildup than gear wear at the splines anyway. Marking them for side to side is a good idea however in all honesty doesn't really matter. If you get sidegear noise from a traction lok diff you have more problems than that anyway. I am pretty easy to pay I accept everything except american express and paypal.
Alan

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Can't you just buy the correct side gears from Ford?

I replaced all the gears in my differential along with the shims/bushings and it was quite simple.

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can't you just buy the correct side gears from Ford?

I replaced all the gears in my differential along with the shims/bushings and it was quite simple.

Just my .02. :thumbsup:
Never though of that?!? Will the sell the side gears alone? :confused:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
They did a few years ago when I rebuilt my Cobra differential. Can't hurt to ask. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts