TCCoA Forums banner

21 - 40 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hmm..anybody know where the resistor is most commonly located on the '96? I'm thinkin' about doing this, too.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I picked up a guage from a 96 in the junk yard and it was in the same place as he described (Behind the guages).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does this apply for the supercoupes also? This mod, actually makes the gauge work rather then just an on off type of thing?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
tbirdowner302 said:
This mod, actually makes the gauge work rather then just an on off type of thing?
No it doesn't really work. We just like taking our dash apart and soldering wires to resistors for fun. ;)

Can't answer on the supercoupe.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes, this is the same for the SC, sender is just in a different place. If I remember correctly, you will have to disconnect the intercooler tubes and move the accessory bracket forward to get on the sensor. It’s hiding behind the steering pump to water pump support bracket. This mod is for any year/any Ford that uses the "Idiot" on or off sender.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Al_Florida said:
No it doesn't really work. We just like taking our dash apart and soldering wires to resistors for fun. ;)

Can't answer on the supercoupe.
Ha, kind of a stupid Q I know, I just repeated what I had read up top. More of a statement for my post records then a question Al. :)

But then again maybe you do like taking your dash apart and soldering wires to resistors for fun, sounds like a heck of good time to me!! haha

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
tbirdowner302 said:
Ha, kind of a stupid Q I know, I just repeated what I had read up top. More of a statement for my post records then a question Al. :)

But then again maybe you do like taking your dash apart and soldering wires to resistors for fun, sounds like a heck of good time to me!! haha
LOL well no its not that stupid. I was just in a "here's your sign" mood. Although according to some people I need to see a "psychologist" or a psychiatrist so perhaps I do like taking my dash apart and soldering wires on resistors. :D

I have a butane soldering iron. The colors... the colors... :tongue:

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
One more reason to snicker and roll my eyes when someone asks why I don't hack the wiring harness up in my 97' dash to retrofit a 94-96 instrument cluster because "they're better, Ford cheaped out in 97"... :tongue:

fwiw I recall the bar graph style oil pressure gauge in my 89's digital dash actually seemed to work as a real gauge not an idiot light. By the end the 3.8 in it had a bad knock and the oil pressure was all over the place...

note I said seemed to, when I'd come to a stop it would fluctuate a segment or two on the digital bar graph and occasionally momentarily drop to zero... it could of been idiot-light-ized and the bar graph was slow enough that really short losses of oil pressure just appeared to be a slight flutuation...

·
Registered
164 Posts
So how do you know if the 20 Ohm resistor is 5 inches away or behind the cluster before even looking? Do certain years have it different or are a few just wierd?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It was a crap shoot on a few that are weird. Only way to tell is look 5" away from the oil sender. I'm pretty sure all 95+ had it behind the dash. It's safe to say most 94s are behind the dash also.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ain't that something.. I'll have to check for myself, I'm curious nowl. I can check my Cougar and my dads Thunderbird ('94) to see if it is maybe a year difference thing or a wierd fluke. I'll post my results when I get 'em!

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Why indeed...

The 94+ oil gauge was nothing more than a fancy idiot light. On/Off. As long as you had 7+ PSI oil pressure your gauge needle would move to the half way mark and stay there. If you had too high oil pressure or too low 7psi or above it would read as normal.

For most people this is acceptable. In fact it was done this way on purpose by Ford to reduce the number of useless service calls/charges from people who know nothing more than 'turn the key move the wheel and press on the long skinny thing on the right to go'.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
I'm not familiar with the 93 so I can't accurately answer that. If your oil gauge reads the same on startup and all through driving then you have the same kind of 'dummy' gauge.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Yes it does. Only when it is low, it does go down a little. Has anyone done this with a 93'? I'd like to know. When I have the car apart for all the other stuff I'm doing I can do it then also.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Just for reference, a good place to get a quick look at the backside of various instrument clusters is on eBay.

Found that useful when I was wondering about the # of bulbs used to illuminate it, where they are located and what sizes are used for a custom lighting project I was thinking about doing.

21 - 40 of 209 Posts