TCCoA Forums banner

61 - 80 of 209 Posts

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I get 112 or so on very cold days with 5w30 so around 100 at start seems to be the norm. I have remote start now so most of the time it's warmed up a little by the time I get in so it's in the 80's

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Back from the dead.

Did anyone do this to a SC?

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Yes, this is the same for the SC, sender is just in a different place. If I remember correctly, you will have to disconnect the intercooler tubes and move the accessory bracket forward to get on the sensor. It’s hiding behind the steering pump to water pump support bracket.
I don't know if he actually did it to an SC but there's some info that might help you if you decide to tackle it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
did this today to mine, used a Niehoff OP24761 from Autozone, 11.99. Told them it was for an 88 5.0 bird. it popped up with two part numbers, one for the idiot light switch, and one for the actual 0-90 psi sender.

for the tally, mine was behind the cluster as well.

Jamie

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Pics will be down while my ISP screws around and tries to get me static IPs that are not blacklisted. Idiots...
If I have the time later, I'll upload them to my gallery and link to there.

·
Registered
663 Posts
well i guess this thread answers my question as to why my gauge reads that my oil pressure is way over on the low side of normal... probably due to the fact that there are 190500 miles on my electrical system. i thought i should be looking into a new oil pump... whew... this looks like a worthwhile mod for anyone that owns a car in general.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It definately is a great mod and everyone should probably do it. Why have a gauge that lies to you? Mine was reading low enough to trip the check gauges light before the mod. Now its never below half way and acts like a real oil pressure gauge. I also used an old mechanical gauge to verify that I didn't have a problem. The factory gauge mimmics those results.

Lorne

·
Registered
130 Posts
Reading Zero

Mines been reading zero for a while now. No rods knocking so I know it's lying.

Sure gave the guy at the tire shop a scare when he saw the light on!

I'll do my update next week.

Thanks to all who added the info.

I was about to go to an aftermarket guage.

·
Registered
288 Posts
thanks for the collaboration of info guys. pictures would be nice but not much can be done about that. My dohc swap has given me a flatlined oil pressure and I refuse to believe I have any pressure issues. So i'll be doing this conversion and hoping it solves my problem. Im using a PS-60.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
A few days ago I went to Advance and picked up a SU for an '88 5.0 Bird but there were 3 different ones.:confused: One was for a Bird with a mechanical gauge and was about $20 so I figured that wasn't it. The other 2 are for Birds with electronic gauges and the prices were $7 and $9 with the higher priced being a 'premium' one. I left with the premium one and it is a GP Sorensen OPS129. I was going to do an oil change today and pop in the SU but apparently I left my 16mm socket in Texas.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
They make a socket just for the sending units.

I found out after I had bought a bunch of sizes to try and take mine off.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I used an adjustable wrench to put in the sending unit for the info-center.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Mines been reading zero for a while now. No rods knocking so I know it's lying.

Sure gave the guy at the tire shop a scare when he saw the light on!

I'll do my update next week.

Thanks to all who added the info.

I was about to go to an aftermarket guage.
LOL reminds me of an oil change shop where they had a pair of guys working. One would call out every step he's doing, the other would yell "Check!" as he checks it off on his clip board. You would think they were getting ready to launch a missile or something! I can imagine their horror upon seeing your oil guage flat-line... :D :tongue:

·
Registered
288 Posts
so yeah, im not happy with this so far, i didnt care about price at the time, picked up that PS60 from carquest and it was too big to fit in, I had to grab a 45* deg 1/4" pipe fitting from napa and that worked. I had to gingerly use a pipe fiting to tighten the sender tho cause i could no longer reach the hex with anything. It works... mechanically, havent had the time to bypass the resistor yet.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
They make a socket just for the sending units.

I found out after I had bought a bunch of sizes to try and take mine off.
I needed the socket for the drain plug. I wished I would've brought the sending unit into the store and checked to see what size it is. I'm hoping that my cresent won't be too big to do the job.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Gotcha.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Hey, just out of curiosity...are the pics on the first page missing for a reason?

61 - 80 of 209 Posts