TCCoA Forums banner

81 - 100 of 209 Posts

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Hey, just out of curiosity...are the pics on the first page missing for a reason?
a few posts up...

Pics will be down while my ISP screws around and tries to get me static IPs that are not blacklisted. Idiots...
If I have the time later, I'll upload them to my gallery and link to there.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I put the sensor in, had to twist the connector to get it to seat all the way, jumped the resistor, fired her up, and my pressure is pegged all the way up!!! I'm assuming that maybe I need to undo the jumper but I need to go to work so for now I unplugged the sensor. I guess I have an oddball of a sensor or some other problem. Then again I did put some thick No-Smoke in with the oil change so maybe that had something to do with it.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Let it warm up and see if it starts working normally, especially in this cold weather. Both 4.6 engines I've had in my car have a lot of pressure on start since the oil is so thick.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Let it warm up and see if it starts working normally, especially in this cold weather. Both 4.6 engines I've had in my car have a lot of pressure on start since the oil is so thick.
Thanks for the reply! I was afraid of burning out the gauge so I left it unplugged on the way to work. I'm hoping that the No-Smoke/Stop Leak has worked itself throughout the oil and now it shouldn't be as thick upon start-up. I am not sure if I thightened the sensor all the way due to the slipping of the pliers that barely had enough room to turn. I'll probably go and get one of those sockets for it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well, the switch socket was too long to get all the way onto the sensor but with my car higher up than usual I was able to use the pliers more. The connector that plugs into the oil pump was just hanging there too, (probably broken off thanks to the shredding of numerous belts), so I plugged it in but I'll need to do something later to keep it in place. I cranked her up and the pressure gauge went to the M of Norm. I had already driven the car to get the socket so I won't get to see how much pressure there is upon a cold start until after work. I just want to see the gauge at somewhere other than M so I know it is a smart sensor and not another dummy sensor.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I guess I'm done worrying about this mod now. Even at a cold start I'm in the vicinty of the M in Norm so either I have a dummy sensor or an engine that doesn't vary much when it comes to the pressure. All I need to worry about now when it comes to oil is whether or not the oil filter adapter gasket is leaking or not and whether I should bother with doing the remote filter.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Did you solder in the resistor?
Yes, (but I think you mean the wire, right;)) and it was a real PITA. The solder didn't want to stick to the wire and only wanted to form into beads and roll down the circuit board. I burnt the insulation of the wire a little while doing this and probably inhaled some burnt solder in the first place. If I could've found some flux I'm sure things would have gone as easy as they did for me back in tech school. At least now I know I didn't melt anything inside the cluster or not get a good connection otherwise it wouldn't be working.

Just a few minutes ago on the way home the oil guage pegged out again but I know why. I replaced my belt and once again my engine has shredded it to be a little less wide. The crank sensor and the plug that goes into the oil pump were knocked out yet again. I'll get under there later and tape the hell out of it until I can replace the connectors. As for the belt always being shredded down to a certain point I'm at a loss but I'm hoping that u/d pulleys may help.

·
Registered
288 Posts
forgot to finish with my results, it works just fine...my gauge reads different than others but i know i didnt get the placement of that needle right when i did my gauge faces forever ago.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I guess I spoke too soon.:rolleyes: Out of the blue my oil gauge pegged itself way beyond high like it did when I first installed it. I did check the connector that's inline with the connector that plugs into the sender and it is still plugged in. The only problem that I can see is that the part of the wire right before the L shaped connector that screws onto the sender is exposed and twisted. Maybe there is a break somewhere in the wire but I don't see how that could cause a high output signal.

My only guess is that the sensor I installed is more like the old dummy sensor and my soldering job is only somewhat complete. I can imagine the connection being just close enough to allow the wire to send the signal around the resistor most of the time. At one point during heavy deacceleration the needle moved to the left a little but only for a second right before stopping. So I'm thinking that when my gauge was working right it was when the wire wasn't making a connecton. Or at least that makes more sense to me than anything else.

Now I'm debating whether I should just try a different sender or pull off the jumper wire.:confused:

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Oh, now you tell me. My mom just got her DSL modem from Verizon tonight.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I'm still having problems ya know but I get the feeling that noone cares:rolleyes:

I left it alone for a few days to see if it would somehow work itself out. For only one min it did work almost like before while I was going downhill and slowing down but when I pulled up into the gas station and filled her up it was back to over the chart. Just now I swapped out the cheapo oil filter for a motorcraft and I'm still getting the same reading. I'm really sure that this sensor is really a dummy sensor just like the old one. I guess I'll be trying to find the motorcraft sensor tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
:(Anyways.

Now that the pics are back up I can clearly see that my sensor is not anywhere like the motorcraft one. In fact mine looks exactly like the old factory unit. I don't know if the fellow at Advance misunderstood me, grabbed the wrong sensor, or I should have asked for the sensor for the mechanical gauge - not the one for the electronic gauge. I doubt the manufacturer would have built one that required the resistor that wasn't a part of the '88 Birds instrument cluster without including the resistor to be placed inline.

Either way I'm going to a Ford dealership to find that sensor or heading to Autozone and getting one of the ones that have already been used in this message thread. Even if I appear to be standing alone I'll still be back to give an update after I finish this on Sunday or Monday. I don't know if I came off wrong or something but I apologize if I seem like someone not worth acknowledging.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I've never done this so I have no idea of what part you would need so couldn't have offered any help without the pictures. I use something else entirely which is plugged into that second port which is stock filled with that allen-head set screw.

http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=65

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I've never done this so I have no idea of what part you would need so couldn't have offered any help without the pictures. I use something else entirely which is plugged into that second port which is stock filled with that allen-head set screw.

http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=65
Actually you are one of the few people who have actually made me feel welcomed. I just don't understand why most of my posts in other topics seem to go unnoticed too. I'm trying to not let it get to me but I am curious what others think of me already. I haven't been as helpful as I could have but usually what I would say has already been said by someone else.

81 - 100 of 209 Posts