TCCoA Forums banner

101 - 120 of 209 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well, I ended up going to Autozone and they gave me a Duralast PS4. It's a 90 PSI sensor instead of the 60 PSI that I think everyone else used. From what I gathered from someone on this board it seemed like our cars ran a little over 60 PSI from time to time so I decided to give it a try. As usual leave it to me to make mistakes that no one else should have to go through.

Everything went smoothly until I tried to plug in the sensor. The power steering cooling line was too close to twist the connector so I had to go to AZ to get a wire stripper/crimper. While I was there I picked up a 9/16 wrench so that I could tighten the sensor more. I ended up tightening it too much :( but hopefully I didn't strip it too badly but with the teflon in place it doesn't appear to be leaking. I figured that the nut on the end of the sensor was supposed to come off so that I could attach a ring connector. The hole in the connector was too small so when I tried to slide it on the pin slid into the sensor.:mad:

I put the nut back in place and I seem to have fixed that blunder. I got a better connector and used another nut to keep it in place. I fired her up and the gauge was finally in the NORM range again but a little lower than I would like. Once the car warmed up it was barely above the L and at one time it did dip below L and the idiot light came on. Boy, I hope I do have good pressure!:eek: When I rev it up the pressure does go up at least and I'm looking forward to when I do get to drive it on the highway. I've been planning on getting some gauge pods anyways so I'll probably use one for a 90 PSI oil gauge. Or I might just get the right sensor before my next oil change. If I did strip the oil filter adapter/block I'll just change that out since the gasket is bound to go bad soon anyways. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I've seen it as high as 110 on a very cold day after not being started for a week. On average my oil pressure is .02 of RPM

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
It could be because you got the 90psi vs 60psi sensor, you can try warming the car up and putting the needle where you want it but I don't know if that would help you. I use 5w30 BTW, it *might* be getting cold enough to go to 10w30 but come summer you should go to 5w30 and it will help your gas mileage too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It could be because you got the 90psi vs 60psi sensor, you can try warming the car up and putting the needle where you want it but I don't know if that would help you. I use 5w30 BTW, it *might* be getting cold enough to go to 10w30 but come summer you should go to 5w30 and it will help your gas mileage too.
Wait what, you want to run the 5w30 in winter and the 10w30 in summer. The 10w30 is "heavier" and doesnt lose its viscosity as much as 5w30 when its hot, and the 5w30 is "lighter" and makes for easier starting in colder weather.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Wait what, you want to run the 5w30 in winter and the 10w30 in summer. The 10w30 is "heavier" and doesnt lose its viscosity as much as 5w30 when its hot, and the 5w30 is "lighter" and makes for easier starting in colder weather.:thumbsup:
That's what I always thought but I didn't think it got that cold enough around here to worry about that. I was just wondering if a thicker oil would make the pressure as high as it is for you and the other people whose pressure is easily in the 60-112 range.

I wonder how the instrument cluster knows when the needle is too close to L and whether or not moving the needle would keep the idiot light from coming on?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Yeah, that's probably true, I always run 5w30 so I don't worry about it.

Don't know about the cluster, it seems to trigger at 7psi but not sure where or if the light would come on with this mod.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Well, I ended up going to Autozone and they gave me a Duralast PS4.
Quick update: If you are having trouble locating the oil sender, example: the parts store cannot look up a part by the part #, then tell them it's from a 1988 Thunderbird with a 5.0L (302) V8.
Man... Either get a Motorcraft: SW-1547-B, E4ZZ-9278-A or see above to get the right sensor you need. If you get one of the ones not on the list, then it probably is not going to work.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Oh, now you tell me. My mom just got her DSL modem from Verizon tonight.
Yeah but she's an end user so it should be cool. It's only when you get to first grade technical questions do they start to sweat.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
what is your name?

what is your favorite color?

what.....is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Man... Either get a Motorcraft: SW-1547-B, E4ZZ-9278-A or see above to get the right sensor you need. If you get one of the ones not on the list, then it probably is not going to work.
I was probably going to do that but I've already done 2 oil changes in a week and I'll like to wait until a month goes by before I do yet another one. Unless it is wrong to assume that all of the oil will drain out when I pull the sensor out. I was hoping I could just make the one I have work for now. I'm surprised that a 30 psi difference means that my gauge would read sooo low.

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
what is your name?

what is your favorite color?

what.....is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Al
Black
40 to 50 mph

:D

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I was probably going to do that but I've already done 2 oil changes in a week and I'll like to wait until a month goes by before I do yet another one. Unless it is wrong to assume that all of the oil will drain out when I pull the sensor out. I was hoping I could just make the one I have work for now. I'm surprised that a 30 psi difference means that my gauge would read sooo low.
Hmm I don't recall having to drain the oil out of mine when I changed it but that was awhile ago. It's on the pressure side of the pump.

:idea: Just don't change it with the engine running.

·
6,253 Posts
yeah, a very small amount of oil will find its way out.. no biggie. nothing a paper towl can't handle

·
Registered
680 Posts
When I did mine, I just asked the FordPartsCounter (Jason) for it. He knew what I was talking about and it was about $20.

- Stephen

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
Has anyone done this mod with an aluminum explorer block in their car? I went to do this a while back and the sender I got hit the block. I figured it was to big and I needed a different one. I recently decided to try it again and got the Ford sender Al used and realized its the same sized as the one I had tried before.

I got under the car to change the oil today and got to looking at that area and noticed a part of my block thats different from what Al posted.

Here's Al's:

Here's mine with the difference in the block circled:

Is there a sender for this mod that is smaller than the Ford sender?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Is the plug below that a different size? If not, why not just stick it there? That's where my nordskog was placed.

·
6,253 Posts
yep.. move the plug and put the sender in the other spot.

101 - 120 of 209 Posts