TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 t-bird and I hit a curb pretty hard, or at least hard enought to bend the part of the front sub frame that holds the tie rod and now my alignement is of by about 5-10 degrees. would a sledge hammer be able to bend it back or am I going to have to take it to a body shop to put on a frame rack? any ideas would be welcome on how to bend this back without spending allot of money as it is now just a back up vehicle for me and I just need it for when I am doing work on my truck.
thanks
jason

·
Registered
252 Posts
I would say take it to a shop and have them pull it, I seriously doubt a sledge hammer is going to do anything.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Frame

Using a sledge hammer is going to cause you more damage than you have already. Let a body shop take care of it. They have the tools and if there is a problem, you can go back and get it fixed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all I guess I'll start checking with shops and see how much its going to cost to throw it on the rack

·
Registered
204 Posts
Try calling some of the smaller family owned shops. My son put my Sable into a ditch & I called around & found a guy who only charged $200 to re-aline the frame. I had gotten prices from $400 to $1600 for the same work.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Bent

Having worked in a body shop for two years (1968-1970) If there is damage to the sub frame there is surely damage to the unibody..............see a body shop.

·
Registered
138 Posts
CougarXR/7 said:
Having worked in a body shop for two years (1968-1970) If there is damage to the sub frame there is surely damage to the unibody..............see a body shop.
Yeah, and if you get another subframe from a junkyard, you may find out that the bolt holes won't line up to install it if the unibody is bent.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
What I was getting at is there is no point in trying to straighten the lower subframe. If the bolt holes are off a portapower would probably fix it but still you are dealing with massive reconstuction. I had a car here that had the subframe so bent the oil filter would never come out ,but we put another subframe right on it.
Alan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts