TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been a while since I posted, but all has been well with the 'bird. Until a few days ago, I made a bit of a clumsy turn @ work (I get to park in an alley that just about fits the 'bird), and managed to uh.. intercept a huge freaking pole, which left a nice scrape and dent right before the righthand rear wheel.

Now I'm halfway decent at doing small dings, but this is rather.. um, big. It's not really in the way of anything, it just looks like crap.

People suggested just taking the rubber hammer to it, but judging from where it is, that might just be a bit too much.

Anyone got any tips or how-to's on this?

·
Registered
189 Posts
fix a dent

go to your local tool store and ask for a slide hammer and you will know exactly what it does when you see it the only advise that i can give you is work from the outside in " in a circle pattern

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks johnjoe :)

Um, stupid question but can you describe a slide hammer? I don't think they're known under that name here, and uh.. I can't really translate it into anything I know :(

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
ghostfield said:
Thanks johnjoe :)

Um, stupid question but can you describe a slide hammer? I don't think they're known under that name here, and uh.. I can't really translate it into anything I know :(
A long solid rod. One end has an attachment point for different fittings. The other end is a fixed handle. There is another handle (heavy) that slides on the rod between the two ends. Attach the fitting end to a fender (for example) push the sliding handle all the way towards the fender. With a firm grip on the fixed handle, quickly slide the other handle back towards you. When the sliding handle hits the fixed handle, you get a hammer effect. In this example it would pull some of the dented fender out.

Only other name I can think of off the top of my head would be a "dent puller."

Here's an example.

Rob

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
girdnerg said:
A long solid rod. One end has an attachment point for different fittings. The other end is a fixed handle. There is another handle (heavy) that slides on the rod between the two ends. Attach the fitting end to a fender (for example) push the sliding handle all the way towards the fender. With a firm grip on the fixed handle, quickly slide the other handle back towards you. When the sliding handle hits the fixed handle, you get a hammer effect. In this example it would pull some of the dented fender out.

Only other name I can think of off the top of my head would be a "dent puller."

Here's an example.

Rob
Thanks mate! That's exactly what I'm looking for -- as far as I can tell there's no name for it around here, but I've seen them in car part stores so I'm going to go pick one up today and see if I'm able to fix what I broke ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts