TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 SC bumper covers to go on my XR7, but alot of the 'teeth' that hold the bottom piece to the top piece are broken.

What is the best way to go about fixing this? I've thought about piano wire and screws, but maybe there's a special kind of glue for the urethane bumper covers?

Kevin.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
C'mon, I know somebody out there has busted their 'teeth' on their bumpers before ;).

Nobody has a clue how to fix them? I can figure out a way myself, but was hoping there'd be a specific way to fix the things...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
My Plans...

I have an 89 SC Rear Bumper with 3 broken "teeth". I have cut thin strips of Stainless Steel sheet just thinner than the width of the teeth. I planned on bending the Stainless Steel to match the shape of the back of the teeth and then using some 3-M double-sided automotive tape or glue attaching them to the bumper. I don’t know if that would work but it should provide the strength and also not be seen from behind the car. I was going to do all of them just as a precaution. I have also been told that body shops can “weld” the plastic. Just my thoughts and if anyone else has any suggestions, please spread the word.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I just used good old fashion superglue! 6 months later the 4 "teeth" are still holding strong!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I DO have crazy clue!

But I do like the idea of having a metal backing, so I'll look into that too - but use SCREWS (shallow but wide) to fix the metal strips to the urethane.

Thanks guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts