TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question i see people gapping there plugs and measuring them, how would you gap your plugs. im getting the autolites 103's with my 9mm wires how would i gap the plugs and know if i have done the right measurements.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
its called a gapper...its a $1 tool that u can pick up where u got ur spark plugs...there is more than one kind of tool tho....

this is the kind i have

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man so i just purchase a gapper then gap the plugs to the amount recommanded thanks

Rigel

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i have one in my key ring...comes handy:D

·
Registered
456 Posts
Most good quality plug gappers, or "feeler" guages also have a port, or location built into them to open the gap if needed.

This is a very good question. Most people assume when they buy spark plugs, that the gap is already correct out of the box, and they simply install them.

You want to gap your plugs properly, and then apply a small dab of "anti-sieze" on the threads.

if you drop a spark plug, replace it. if you over-extend the gap, do NOT hit it with a hammer to close it.

There are several things you can do to new spark plugs to give them a more efficient "burn", but quite simply, gapping them will suffice.

One of the MOST important part of a spark plug change, is looking at the old spark plugs for anything unusual. They are a map, or photograph of your engine's combustion chamber.

do a search online for "reading spark plugs". They cant talk, so they cant lie!

Here are some "typical" spark plug gap tools:

Here is a decent page I found regarding spark plug changes. Its a chevy motor, but at the bottom, it shows you some pics of plugs, AND WHAT CAN HAPPEN
http://www.installuniversity.com/install_university/installu_graphics/freshman_year/spark_plug_wire_install/gap_distance.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
397 Posts
Same here, got one on the keyring 'cause for some reason I'm never actually home when I change my plugs. The silver one from advance is nice because it's got almost a polished finish, no friction to worry about frigging up your measurements.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
:zwthstpd:

thats funny...same here...i have changed my plugs many times, in all of my past cars...i have probably changed them at home twice!:D

·
8,239 Posts
gapping down spark plugs sucks.

I usually push the gap in by hand with one of those dollar gappers. I wouldn't hit it with a hammer thats for sure, lol.

JH

·
Registered
456 Posts
tapping them with a hammer is "old school"

old timers will tell you they used a penny to gap them, and a rock to close the gaps.

these are the same old schoolers that invented the tools we now use...go figure

·
Registered
397 Posts
If I overgap one, I'll usually turn it upside down and whack it on a hard surface.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts