TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all im doing this in ohio since its where i go to school.... so if any of you wanted to help its kinda out of the question..

i purchased a set of pi cams with bolt on sprockets from quick cat, all i want to know is how about to go installing these cams, is it as simple as..

remove valve covers..
unbolt sprockets from cam..
remove bearing caps from cams-head..

then re assemble in reverse order??

as i said, bolt on sprockets, 96 4.6.

thanks,!

Patrick

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Cough cough I'm pretty sure you have to take the front cover off in order to get the timing chain off and to set the timing after the new cams are installed! Im almost positive you have too but not 100%.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
cough cough no sorry!

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so it looks like im gonna add another 30 bucks to my cam install budget..no problem..

thanks!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ya but think of all the time you will save not having to remove the front cover and all the crap that goes along with that.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Red96Bird said:
so it looks like im gonna add another 30 bucks to my cam install budget..no problem..

thanks!
Hey did you end up buying that tool?

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
waiting for christmas money!..then the cams will go in.. im a broke college student on a budget

why do you think i waited so long to get the cams cheap from you...hahaha

just playin around

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
LOL that's cool with me I needed to get rid of them. If you bought that tool I was gonna ask to borrow it a day but I took my valva covers off last night and found out it aint a lifter or rocker it's inside the front cover so I won't even need the tool.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Grasshopper said:
Any of you guys have a hernia???

:rofl:
LOL

Yeah in my case the front cover is coming off!

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright....

lets say for sake i dont buy this tool...what all is needed when taking off the front cover..

obviously just by pulling the valve covers i need new gaskets, or at least i know i do...

so i pull the timing cover off, what else would i need? im talking anything, tools, gaskets, rtv, whatever?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The Great Obucina said:
cough cough, take off the front cover and do it right or run the risk on PTV.
Just a simple question. If the tool does its job, and the chain doesn't come off of any of the timing gears, how would the timing have changed from when it was set at the factory? Of course if the tool does slip and the chain comes loose, then you'd just have to do it the long way anyway, so you're still ok right?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Red96Bird said:
alright....

lets say for sake i dont buy this tool...what all is needed when taking off the front cover..

obviously just by pulling the valve covers i need new gaskets, or at least i know i do...

so i pull the timing cover off, what else would i need? im talking anything, tools, gaskets, rtv, whatever?
you shouldn't need any gaskets or RTV. The thing about that way is you gotta take more stuff off.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm trying to learn too, so I have a question also.

If you take the cover off, don't you have to have yet another tool (or a pair of them) to keep the cams from rotating when you take the chains off? That's what I've read, so now I'm really confused (what's new about that, lol).

Rob

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I was reading the instructions on the AndersonFordMotorsports tool. It looks like it'd be a very good idea to have a second set of hands helping out with the swap. One to install the cam and one to hold the tool safe and steady.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts