TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to got a cat

I would like to got at least the cat in frount of the resonator. How do you gut a cat?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
your better off cutting it out and putting a piece of strait pipe in its place, if you start gutting it and dont get all of it or leave a loose piece in there it can clog up your exhaust. but since you want to know, when i did mine on my 86 bird i took a crowbar (or nice long screwdriver) stick it in the cat and start hammering away. you have to break up the crap in there and make sure to get it all out of there. the only reason i had to do mine is it was clogged up anyway and i was way to poor to replace them.

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
we did that in autoshop to my teachers truck after rebuilding the engine..... took a long peice of threaded rod and bent the end of it, then put that in a drill and go to town inside the cat.... it cleaned it out pretty fast, then again the cat was off the truck

·
Registered
121 Posts
better to just gut them, then when the state police looks under there, they see heat sheild, so it looks legit.
-Dennis

·
Full Metal
4,744 Posts
just make sure you don't live in a town that uses the sniffer's to smog test your car, if you have too, get it inspected at a place that does just visual inspections, hehehehe, good luck, later'z.......:D

·
Registered
93 Posts
I used to have an '86 Mustang with the 3.8 liter V6. I took it off and chopped up the guts with a tire iron. Put in new gaskets and put it back on the car. We here in PA used to have the sniffer test for emissions. Always passed with flying colors! When you dispose of the pieces keep in mind that it's a toxic substance and should be disposed of properly.

·
Registered
121 Posts
that reminds me, I gotta gut mine sooner or later
:headbang:

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Yes, but only if your talking about the primary. The 3rd, or "Y-cat" can be gutted without having to mess with MIL eliminators or a chip.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
When I was runnin the 2into1into2 system, we took the Y pipe down, carefully cut open the topside, and dug the nasty stuff out completely... be sure to wear the air filter mask that all good mechanics have, as this stuff is really bad.... Then stitch weld the whole shebamg up, put it back on and it appears unaltered....

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
first you start at his ribcage and then you slice down the midle to the tail. Then you scrape out the guts and cut the diphram out cuting out the lungs and heart.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts