TCCoA Forums banner

How-to Hard wire your fan to High (5 minute job!)

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Toombs 
#1 · (Edited)
Mr.Toombs and TCCoA you are awesome! I couldnt have done this without you (not this quickly anyway!)

If your fan is not turning on at the correct time and you are on a budget then this is your answer! This job will take you 5-10 minutes and $0-$5 worth of material depending on what you've got (im an electrical engineer I have lots of electrical stuff)

on my 1995 tbird I opened the little cable way on top of the passenger side and found the Green/Purple wire. Cut that wire and take the side that leads to the front of the car [(the CCRM) black box that controls the electric fan, located directly in between air box and passenger side headlight] and then hook it to ground. Tape the other side of the Green/Purple wire just for good measure. Hide all the wires and Voila!

Now your fan will always run at high speed! Thats It! Change your thermostat next and you should be good.

Below you can see Mr. Toombs thinks it's a neon green wire on a 94 but I am skeptical. I think Green/Purple should be it.

It's really easy to put a fan switch in. On my 94, under the hood on top of the right inner fender, there is a black cable way. Crack that sucker open and find the neon green wire, and splice into ground. If you ground that wire the fan comes.
It really is that easy, it took me five minutes to do and 20 minutes to look up with the Ford Service CD and Mr. Toombs know how!

If you need help on tbirds ASAP y'all can call me.

954-980-5758 Ryan

and I will be happy to help you as much as I can. I know wiring and lots of basic tbird stuff! Free tbird tech support line! hey sounds like a good deal!

Now my car runs on the N of NORM!!!!! yes! soon I'll get my 160degree t stat and ill be in business!

Keywords to help searchers: Engine overheating Bypass CCRM Broken CCRM Temperature Switch Fan Electric Wiring Diagram Pinout

See less See more
#4 ·
I second that. Everyone says a Motorcraft high-flow 180* is great! I have one in my car and it never overheats! I also did this little mod awhile ago, got it hooked up to a toggle switch hidden away in my interior so I can turn the fans on when I'm in stop-n-go traffic and such where the car would just idle and create massive amounts of heat. Not anymore!:D

#7 ·
Why would you want your fan running on high speed all the time? Having my car sound like a 747 taking off constantly would irritate me, aside from the other issues. Sorry, but I won't be calling your 'tech' line.

#8 · (Edited)
lets all remember, I am unemployed so I dont have any money to spend. this mod is for broke people. It can be elaborated upon. And useful info would help, like "that will start a fire or improper wiring" but saying I couldnt live like that is just cluttering up the board with useless text."......

Well it sounds like a stock car now not a Cessna (747's are jet drive buddy!)
And compared to the fan not running when it needs to and overheating, I'll deal with the slight noise which I cant hear over straight pipes and 2 twelves.

You are denied from the free tech line :) then sir mr coolhand (j/k)

To all, yes after futher research I went and bought a 180 degree tstat from Bennitt for $8.99 and its running right below the N on NORM!!!! Thank you mr toombs like I said before. You too Rayo you have some good advice.

160 deg tstat is bad b/c the rear seal needs that backpressure to keep it cool! tip from a 28 yr master tech @ ford

#11 ·
For those who don't want the fan running on high constantly, use a toggle switch. Very slightly different wiring, but if your doing enough to do this mod, then I'm sure you can handle that. Then, you have the option of turning the fan on when you REALLY need it.

#13 ·
I have just one question: Did you do any troubleshooting of the problem before you bastardized the wiring/electrical system?

And I'm going to second XR7-4.6, constantly running the fan is not good for it and just asking to burn it up. At the very least install a switch. Maybe even install a switch that will come on when the coolant gets to a certain temperature... oh wait.... ;)

I understand being broke, but that is still not an excuse to not at least troubleshoot a problem, identify the problem, and then do a cost benefit analysis of repair vs modification.

#14 ·
Doesn't the fan run on high anytime the A/C is on? Many people, especially down here in the south, run the A/C at all times during the spring and summer. How would this be any different than forcing the fan to run on high at all times?

#15 ·
For the record, I just discovered that I was mentioned in this thread via another thread. I don't even know how long ago this question was asked of me in PM.

I didn't suggest running the fan all the time.....I wired mine to a parallel switch so that I could force the fan on to control engine temperature prior to staging at the race track. With my switch in the off position, the fan is controlled normally, and cycles as usual.

That being said, IMO, the fan will be fine seeing continuous duty....it runs anytime you have the AC on, which for many drivers is virtually continuous in the summer.

Mike

Edit - Didn't see tinman's post before I posted.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.