TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I pick up a solid axle trac loc how do I machine it to work properly ? Pics would be a n awesome bonus.. And is it hard to do ??

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
There is a diagram floating around on what needs done. It must be tough, I can't get any machine shops locally to tackle it. They are hardened gears, but I am going to take an afternoon and use a dremel and see what I can do. I know people have done it, but I don't feel good leaving the circlip off.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
You need to bevel the inside edge so that the circlip will compress when you go to pull the axle out. The easiest way would be to take a side gear and an inner axle joint and as soon as you slide it on you will see what needs to be beveled. By doing it out of the diff this way, you can use a pick to pull the circlip off, grind the inner part of the side gear, and retest it until you get it right.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Here is what you need.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Send an email to [email protected]. Mike rebuilds these and offered to machine the modification for me. It wasn't cheap though, you might be better off getting a IRS Trac-Lock.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Alan @ dirtydogperformance.com machined mine down for me. He chucked them in a lathe and had them done in about 5 minutes while I watched.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
That is good to have. I have a copy of it somewhere. The issue is, if you find an original 28 spline Trak-loc for sale, it's a crap shoot whether it's the newer style with beveled gears, or the older style without. They both have the same part #, IIRC it's M4204-F288.

I bought two off E-bay over a 6 month period, and ended up selling the one for the solid axle to a guy with a Crown Vic.

Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts