TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone who has installed an SHO Speedo knows the colors don't match are cars, the factory 97 MN12's are green and SHO's are blue.
<P>

<P>
This is how you fix it, you need to start by taking your Speedo apart, "jasonLmarsh" link http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=120376
<P>
After you have it apart, flip the gauge face over to see the clear plastic back.

This is what you need to paint, I painted the whole thing since painting just the towers will make blue spots from other lights....
<P>
This is what I used, Createx Airbrush Colors (Bright yellow and Sunshine yellow mixed) and basic paint brushes. Any kind of Transparent paint that will stick to plastic is fine.

<P>
When your done the plastic backing should look like this.

<P>
Put your gauge face back together and your FINISHED!
<P>
End product (poor photo) this mod actually makes a very nice end product.

<P>
If you would like to avoid the darker yellow odometer just don't paint the green display display for it.

<P>
Qustions:
Why Yellow paint? Yellow + Blue = Green I think, it's been a long time since 3ed.
Why not just add yellow bulbs? If you add yellow bulbs it will turn the SHO face green and turn your Stock face blue. !!Same problem swapped side!!
Why paint the whole thing? To avoid spots of blue.
Why use air brush paint? It's what I had laying around the house and it was FREE/Transparent.
Brands of paint, Createx Airbrush Colors. (Bright yellow and Sunshine yellow)
Why not just leave it alone? Mix matched gauge faces are tacky!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 150 at the time if before and after. (I use the 96 style for my car) and when I put them in the other day they looked really good at night.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gauge faces I have in the photos are my prototype set so I made the mistake of painting the blue odometer plastic , if I had left it alone the odometer would look more green than yellow since it would not have that extra coat of yellow.

You can remove the face and paint it yellow the only thing you need to watch out for is A if you remove it wrong it will pill some of the coating off (You will see a clear spot on your face) or B if you don't paint it just right it will look lumpy in places.
I tried both :(.

I can say this the photo I took is very dark and dose not show how nice all of this really looks, I sold of my SLR's after I dumped my photography company so that photo was taken with a point and shoot.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,692 Posts
Little bit of a thread resurrection here.

Did you mix the two colors in equal portions?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I just mixed a small amount of both colors to make an orangish yellow color.

The Yellow was to bright and the orange was to dark

The idea is Blue + Yellow = Green. So do a small test spot and mix till you get the color just right, this stuff is easy to wipe off with a wet rag.

·
Registered
274 Posts
wow talk about a simple yet very effective trick. good job, i was just going to disassemble the whole thing and paint over the existing blue but this works out just as well and far easier to do

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,692 Posts
To add just a bit, for me it seems like the green is a tad too dark if I mix the colors in equal portions. If I was to do it again I think I'd go 10 drops of brite yellow and 8 drops of sunshine yellow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts