TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my set of SVO heads came a set of reground Anderson blower cams, but the person I got them from had lost the specs on them.

I have digital calipers and micrometers so I can measure to .0001 inch but how do you know what the specs (lift, duration, etc.)?? I'd hate to have them sent off just to find out the specs and then find out they won't work for my application either.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Lift is easy....
Setup the dial indicator,and measure the amount of lobe lift you get.
Multiuply by 1.8,and that's the valve lift.
Now-for duration..that'll take the dial indicator,a set of solid adjustable lash adjusters,and a degree wheel.
JL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Since you have a digital caliber it easy to find the lift. Measure the biggest point on the lobe of the cam. Now measure the base circle of the cam (smallest point of the lobe ). Subtract the base circle number, from the bigger number from the highest point. Take that number times 1.8, that gives you the lift.

Example: Biggest measure from the lobe is 1.300. The smaller base circle number from the lobe is 1.000 . Now subtract 1.000 from 1.300 and you get .300 . Then multiply .300 X 1.8 and you get .540 lift .

As far as duration goes, it would just be easier to find a machine shop in your area that has a cam doctor. The cam doctor will give you all the info about the cam, lift, duration, lobe seperation, and everything else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts