TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I have the K&N conical filter installed but obviously I don't want to keep it in the engine bay to suck in all that nice, thin, hot air. What have you guys done to relocate the air filter down into the fender area? What hardware/tubing can I buy to get the job done? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

--Chris

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The most common thing to do is to leave the filter in the engine bay and build a heatshield around it. That's probably easier than trying to fab all kinds of adapters and bends for the pipes.
I just used a '02 Mustang GT intake setup.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I just got a 3" rubber 90 degree bend from Home Depot, then a short piece of 3" plastic tubing and moved the filter down into the fender. The whole job cost me about 6 bucks and 15 minutes of my time. The hardest part was getting the damn fender liner back on... I always have trouble with those damn things.

~Chuck

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
tinman_72 said:
The most common thing to do is to leave the filter in the engine bay and build a heatshield around it. That's probably easier than trying to fab all kinds of adapters and bends for the pipes.
Agreed.

-Rod

·
Registered
892 Posts
master486 said:
Hi everyone,

So I have the K&N conical filter installed but obviously I don't want to keep it in the engine bay to suck in all that nice, thin, hot air. What have you guys done to relocate the air filter down into the fender area? What hardware/tubing can I buy to get the job done? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

--Chris
You can try this. Put your box back in. Get a silencer for a 94-97 4.6. Remove snorkel and install filter to 90 degree. Remove panel filter. Go to local Ace, Home Depot etc and get 3/16 foam weather stripping to seal box. All done. Kinda stealthy too. I just bought a a silencer from RaceCougar on this forum.

This link should help:

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/airbox/airbox.htm

I did not want mine exposed in the engine bay either. Gained 2/10's of a second on a 12 second 340 Duster back in the 70's by getting outside air. Everybody laughed at a 4" tube vs a big open airfilter. I laughed too!

Brad

·
Registered
892 Posts
master486 said:
Hi everyone,

--Chris

Sorry, left this off:

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12parts/air-filter-kit/afk100.htm

shows the finished result

Brad

·
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
master486 said:
Is that 90* adapter from a T-Bird or is that aftermarket? I like that installation.

--Chris
That is part of a stock intake silencer from a 94+ MN12. I can probably come up with another one if you need one.

-Rod

·
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
racecougar said:
That is part of a stock intake silencer from a 94+ MN12. I can probably come up with another one if you need one.

-Rod

Ok so that is what the silencer looks like after removing the snorkel? I don't have my whole intake box b/c I was in an accident and replaced the entire broken assembly w/the K&N filter but I have junk yards near me with tons of T-Birds so I can definitely manage to get another 94 and up. Do I specifically need one from a 4.6 or any 94 and up? Thanks.

--Chris

·
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok sorry to bring this back up but one more question: Which will be better in terms of airflow/performance, making a shield around the cone or removing the silencer with the factory airbox and strapping a K&N on the end like in that pic on MN12Performance? Again, thanks for your input.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I'm kind of partial to the fender setup myself, but thats more of a personal preference, and not based on anything else. To tell the truth, I dont think its going to make a ton of difference, not with these power levels anyway.

however, alot of those heat shields are rather nice looking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts